Friday 2 October 2020

Near miss!

 I took myself off to work today to give Keith a rest from all the driving about he does at the moment. As forecast, the weather was horrible, dark and rainy. When Sophie left for the gym this morning it was properly dark, with no hint of the sunrise at all.

Work was OK but we dealt with quite a few moany customers this morning. I tried to clear some emails for when Sara is back next week. At 2pm I sped off to get Mike and was astonished at the bad driving I witnessed, especially as the weather was so foul and the conditions horrible. 

It started at the roundabout by the new development of houses on the A43, where the dual carriageway reverts back to one lane. A black souped-up Fiesta overtook me and dodged in between me and the car in front. Behind me, a dark grey BMW tried the same thing, and then realised he wasn't going to make it, so managed to get in behind me.

All the way up the A43 the black Ford in front was driving far too close to the car in front of him, which then turned off at Hannington. As we approached the Walgrave turn he had to brake because of a line of traffic, and as we neared the roundabout by Broughton something happened as all of a sudden, the two cars in front of the Fiesta swerved left and right, the Ford braked hard, forcing me to slow down drastically as well. I thought the BMW behind me wasn't going to be able to stop, so I braced myself for him hitting me and tried to go left a bit to give him more room.

By some sort of miracle, we were all OK and nobody hit anyone. How that happened I'll never know, and I still have no clue what caused the two cars to swerve, unless someone braked hard and they panicked? It really shook me up, I can tell you, and just says how important it is to leave a good gap between you and the car in front!

I carried on to get Mike, and he got into the car filthy dirty and soaking wet. He was in a foul mood and we had a few words on the way home - not what I needed after my fright!

Back home, Keith was sitting in the kitchen, the shredding machines balanced on his work-mate and surrounded by bits of paper. It was chaos! I rushed around getting things ready to take into the care home for Mum and Dad, and all too soon it was time for me to leave.

The weather was still terrible, and I struggled across the car park with some pictures and a couple of bags. My Mum was brought down to the garden room, and we chatted for almost an hour. She looked smart and her hair was nicely done so I was pleased about that.

I left at about 5pm and went home to relax for a bit. We are recording every episode of Pointless now as I'm sure the two episodes we saw back in January will be shown soon! Keith didn't go to the pub this evening and cooked a delicious dinner of beefburgers and homemade fries. They were scrummy!




No comments: