Thursday 13 February 2020

Yet another shock...

Keith took me to work this morning and my shift passed pleasantly enough. I've been asked to take on more of the cinema work with maybe some extra hours, so that was good!

When I came out of work at 3pm Keith met me with the news that my dad had fallen over again and my mum had called an ambulance. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, to be honest, and I just hoped that he hadn't broken anything again.

Keith and I sped over to their house and the ambulance was still there. My dad was lying on the floor and had been given painkillers. The paramedics were worried that he'd broken his other leg this time. I have to confess to feeling quite angry about the whole situation as my dad knows he can be unsteady on his feet and all the advice that he'd been given the last time had been ignored, such as using a walking stick or even a zimmer frame to help his balance. I just stood there thinking about the implications of a broken bone, the hospital stay and then the long period of recovery when they would be marooned in their house as my mum doesn't drive.

After a good period of time the paramedics were ready to get him onto a stretcher so we moved all of the furniture out of the way and they managed to manoeuvre him without causing too much pain. It didn't look good though as they were having to give him morphine.

My mum went into the ambulance with him and Keith and I tidied up the house and then locked it up. We went home and at 6pm I called my mum who said he had broken his hip. I was devastated, to be honest, both for him and for her.

Keith and I went to get my mum from A&E and the place was like a war zone. There were notices everywhere about the Coronavirus and we made sure we washed our hands thoroughly. That's all we need!

My dad seemed comfortable and was lying on a bed in a cubicle. We'd had difficulty locating them both, and after making sure he was OK we left to go home. Mum said she would ring later and find out which ward he'd been taken to.

Back home, Sophie had made dinner but first we sat and had a drink - I think I definitely needed one tonight!




No comments: