Friday 7 February 2020

A terrible shock...

It was another very foggy start to the day and Sophie called to warn me how dense it was. Keith dropped me off at work and then went to do the shopping as he felt a lot better this morning.

Half way through my shift I was on the phone but aware of the other staff looking shocked and upset. I could hear Sheila crying so I finished my call and discovered that Stella, who is the lady in charge of all the cinema admin, had died suddenly this morning at home. I was covering for her today as she had booked a day's holiday and I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing, it was such a terrible shock.

We were told to turn off the phones as we absorbed the awful news and Sara said we could go out of the office if we wanted and get a drink. All of us looked so shocked and Sheila went out to sit in her car for a little while.

We turned the phones off until midday but then we had to get back to work. I sat there in a daze and kept thinking about all the times we'd chatted and how lovely she was. The worst thing was thinking about her family and her little granddaughter who she doted on.

Keith picked me up at 2pm and we went home where I suggested going for a walk as it was such a lovely day. We walked up to the village and then turned around and came back so we were out for about half an hour.

In the evening Sophie and I took Mike to the train station where he was meeting Abbie off the train. I gave them a lift to Abbie's mum's and then it was home to quickly prepare the dinner and have a glass of wine. Keith had bought a bottle of non-alcoholic Cava in Tesco but Sophie brought the wrong one in - a Freixenet real Cava! I didn't realise until I was pouring it into the glasses but there wasn't much I could do then and I wasn't going to waste it!

Sophie and I enjoyed veggie meatballs for dinner with pasta while Keith devoured a roast chicken. While Sophie was upstairs watching Love Island, Keith and I went to the Caribbean and soaked up the sun with Death in Paradise. I could certainly do with some lovely hot sunshine at the moment!

No comments: