Tuesday 13 August 2019

Film night

This evening all four of us had an early supper of soup and crusty bread and went off to the Northampton Filmhouse to see a 40th anniversary showing of Apocalypse Now.

We parked very easily by Derngate as I think the theatre is having some refurbishment work done. I'd looked at the available cinema seats before we left and discovered that it was almost full! Keith treated us to some drinks and we went in and took our seats.

I'm sure I'd seen the film before but didn't remember much of it and the version we watched this evening was the "Final Cut" and was three hours long! I wasn't sure how Sophie and Mike would react but as the film got going I think they both enjoyed it. It was very gory and violent and was given a rating of 15, but I'm sure when it first came out in 1979 it was an 18?

I liked a lot of the actors in it - Robert Duvall, Martin Sheen, Harrison Ford and, of course, Marlon Brando. Seeing the film on the big screen was great as we were treated to real close-ups of the actors' faces! They looked so young!

We emerged at 10.30pm and Mike was not in a good mood as his arm and hand had swollen up again because of an insect bite. I think the time has come for him to apply insect repellent when he goes to work to prevent a bite in the first place. He said he wasn't going to work tomorrow as he was in so much pain...

We drove home and then it was straight to bed as it was 11pm!


No comments: