Saturday 30 March 2019

Relaxation!

Sophie had booked us both in for a facial at the Virgin spa this morning, as a present for me for Mother's Day. I went in first while she went up to the gym for a light workout, and had a very relaxing hour being pampered and cosseted. It was wonderful! Afterwards, my skin felt lovely and smooth and soft!

I went and sat in the cafe with hordes of parents and their offspring and had a coffee and a flapjack while I waited for Sophie. It was very noisy but I managed to finish the book I was reading and watch the news, which is full of Brexit (and how it didn't happen yesterday).

As soon as Sophie was finished we returned home and while she was having a shower, I took Mike to Brixworth. We then tried to find a lunch venue as I needed to go down to Homesense to get a voucher for my Mum, but there was nowhere nearby that was suitable. In the end, after a brief argument, we went to The White Horse in Old and had a surprisingly good cheese and chutney sandwich served with a handful of chunky chips. A family on the next table provided good entertainment, especially when the little boy spilled almost a whole G&T over his grandmother!

From the pub we drove into town and I decided to drive past the old university campus to show Sophie what was happening. Most of the buildings at the front had been demolished and work had started on building houses on what was once the sports field and the car park. Sophie was, understandably, quite emotional and we were able to park the car by the Persimmon marketing office and have a walk around. We also called into the office and the woman there tried to sell Sophie a house even though we'd stated that we were only looking around as Sophie had been a student there!

We noticed a couple walking about and Sophie recognised the woman as someone who had worked in Cottesbrooke, where Sophie did her Business degree. She asked if she knew whether the building was still standing and the woman said it was and could be seen from a nearby footpath. She showed us the way and we decided to take a walk and have a look.

I'm just glad it was a sunny Saturday as the path was bordered on both sides by high hedges and fences and seemed very lonely. Not the sort of place I'd want to walk down on my own at night! We walked for about five minutes and ended up behind the building which was still standing and completely intact. That, at least, was a relief for Sophie!

Back in the car we headed down into town to St James Retail Park which must have the smallest car parking spaces in the whole of the country. I backed into a space and noticed that a car in front was having difficulty reversing out. I went to help but the young girl behind the wheel must have put her foot hard on the accelerator as she hit my car! She looked really shaken and upset and after I'd examined the damage (just a scratch) I told her not to worry. The poor girl was shaking like a leaf!

We went into Homesense and I bought my Mum a voucher so she can buy something she wants in there and I chose some chocolates for her as well. We weren't really in the mood to look around so we paid and headed home.

We made some cocktails this evening - a Maiden's Prayer for me which was Gin, Cointreau and lemon juice and an Old Fashioned for Sophie. I was not a fan of mine and it certainly didn't answer my prayers!

After dinner this evening we watched a good thriller called Along Came a Spider starring Morgan Freeman. It was very enjoyable and made a good end to a busy day!

No comments: