Tuesday 12 March 2019

A 10-1 winner!

Work was quiet with phone calls today and the time dragged a bit. I sped home at 2pm and watched the first two races from Cheltenham (recorded) with Keith who had had a couple of bets. As the horses lined up for the third I spotted a horse called Beware the Bear and as we used to call Archie our furry bear, I asked Keith to put a £1 on an each way bet on him.

The race was a large field and most of the horses were 10-1 including Beware the Bear. I watched as the horse steadily made its way to the front and after the last jump it streaked ahead to win! I was jumping about and screaming and I frightened Monty who ran off in alarm! We won about £14 but Keith had a run of bad luck with the next race as his horse, Benie des Dieux, was leading but fell at the last jump. Overall, he was £10 down but would have been worse if Beware the Bear hadn't won!

We had vegetable curry this evening for dinner but yesterday we had forgotten to buy naan breads, poppadoms and mango chutney so tensions were running a bit high in the kitchen while we were cooking. I had only bought one jar of Madras sauce so Sophie had to add a tin of chopped tomatoes. Keith and I weren't very popular! Mike decided to miss dinner so it was just the three of us sitting down to eat.

Tomorrow Sophie is off to London with her friend Alice to see the rapper Post Malone at the O2, so I just hope the weather isn't too wild and stormy!

No comments: