Sunday 3 March 2019

Eating leftovers - Part 1

We awoke to a grey, miserable day - Storm Freya was paying us a visit! Sophie had arranged to go out with her friend Laura for breakfast and as she was unsure of how to get to Laura's house and where to park for the cafe, we said we would go with her.

They chose a new little place called Cafe Marseille in Sheep Street and I have to admit that it was the first time in over forty years I'd been down this particular road in Northampton so I gave Sophie the wrong directions! However, we found the way, dropped them off and called to get a newspaper near Abington Square, which was a bit of an eye-opener...the car park of the Tesco Express was littered with hundreds of those little silver canisters which would have contained laughing gas. They were everywhere!

The plan was to drive to Abington Park and read the Sunday papers and perhaps watch a local football match. We pulled up by the side of the road so Keith could have a good view of the game which started at 10.30am.

We spent a very relaxing hour perusing the papers and watching the players out of steamy windows. Sophie asked us to collect her and Laura at 11.30am and as soon as we'd driven home I made some inroads into the leftovers from last night, of which there was an abundance!

We were supposed to have had roast chicken tonight but instead we decided to eat what was left, namely salad, cheeses, cooked meats, new potatoes, pate, cheese biscuits and olives. We had some part-baked rolls hanging about and I said I would slice the potatoes and cook them in the air-fryer.

In the afternoon Sophie and I picked up my Mum and drove over to Weedon. Our first stop was Darlingtons for a cup of tea (I love that they give you an extra pot of hot water) and a slice of coffee and walnut cake. Delicious!

Afterwards, Sophie and I made a beeline for Abraxas where we had a good mooch about. My Mum went to the antique shop and found a Mason's spice jar. Outside the wind had got up and the trees were being blown about by Freya. I doubt we'll get to my name, but you never know!

Sophie and I found a pasta maker that we liked the look of and I also chose a Le Creuset dish and a wooden spoon, all purchased with the voucher that Mum and Dad had bought me for my birthday.

As the time was getting on we headed back, dropped Mum off and went home where we relaxed for a while with a drink (leftover Cava). Sue had very kindly brought over two miniature bottles of Gin - an elderflower and a Sloe so we did a comparison tasting and I have to say the Warner Edwards was better, but then it is twice the price of the Gin we buy!

Dinner tonight was leftovers but we really didn't make any inroads into them. I think the roast chicken will be delayed until later in the week!

No comments: