Thursday 20 December 2018

Get Him To The (Fenu)Greek...

Keith and I went shopping at 9am this morning as we wanted to go and get it out of the way. It was already busy, which was slightly worrying! We spent over £100 in Aldi and bought some treats and then went into Tesco to do the rest of our shopping.

On Sunday we are planning on cooking the Hairy Bikers' Nutty Chicken and it called for Fenugreek, so I sent Keith on a mission to get some... There wasn't any in the fresh herbs section so he went off to the dried herbs aisle and came back triumphantly brandishing a small jar! I have no idea what it tastes like but we will use it in the recipe on Sunday and find out!

We didn't buy half as much in Tesco but the bill came to £71! I suppose the hard-to-find ingredients didn't help, but Keith also bought a fair amount of beer!

Both supermarkets were very busy and the queues were building up at the checkouts, something I haven't seen for a while. There was a faint air of panic in the store although I have no idea why, as there was plenty of food and drink available!

We left Tesco and called into Majestic as I'd ordered some wine using a voucher I had. I wanted to buy some Champagne for our new next-door neighbours, Vince and Sue, as they had done us a huge favour with our council rates band and we had had a small windfall, which was a lovely surprise! We have also invited them around for wine and nibbles in March along with Sue and Paul and Richard and Michelle, with a view to them joining in with our regular wine tastings.

I made lunch using leftover veggies from last night's meal (coated in breadcrumbs and fried) along with bacon and some mushrooms and then Keith and Mike went out to do some Christmas shopping, I hoovered and tidied up downstairs and then did a mound of ironing before relaxing on the sofa and watching some Christmas food programmes.

Sophie arrived home at 5.30pm and we decided to go to the Christmas shopping event at Castle Ashby. I wish we hadn't...it poured with rain on the way over and when we arrived there were some tents outside selling food and drink. We went to a clothes shop first (I have no idea why) and then browsed in the gift shops but neither of us were really feeling it and we didn't have any cash on us so we weren't sure whether we could use cards at the outdoor tents. Sophie was hungry but didn't want a big hot dog or hog roast so we decided to go home and relax with a drink instead!

We watched an episode of Top of The Pops (from about 1987, I think) and then Sophie and I cooked dinner. I'd found a recipe for Pork stir-fry with noodles and Keith and I had already prepped everything so all Sophie and I had to do was cook the mince, the noodles and the vegetables and coat it all in soy sauce and a sweet chilli sauce. It was delicious!

No comments: