Sunday 2 December 2018

Delicious dinner!

I felt a wee bit tired this morning, but certainly not hungover! I was amazed I managed to resist the alcohol last night!

Keith and I went to get the Sunday papers and called to see Mum and Dad for a coffee. We then returned home and I made breakfast of smoked sausages (from Ikea) and scrambled eggs. The weather has been better than anticipated today so I decided to give my filthy car a good wash and polish!

It was lovely out in the fresh air and my car looked a lot better when I'd finished. I just wish I'd had the time to do Sophie's car as well.

In the afternoon I took my daughter to the gym and called into Tesco to get the ingredients for tonight's dinner - Hainanese Chicken from the Hairy Bikers' Chicken and Egg cookbook. To be honest I was a bit wary about it as it looked a little watery but we'd decided on it, so that was that!

I bought chicken breasts, ginger, spring onions, a lime, chillies and Jasmine rice before going back to the gym and collecting Sophie who'd been for a run and a swim. As soon as we got home we went out to post some Christmas cards to neighbours and friends and took Monty with us. However, there were loads of dogs about this afternoon so the cat was a bit reluctant to come with us, poor thing. We went from the sublime to the ridiculous when we met Sam and her huge Newfoundland dog and then saw Brian who's a little tiny poodly thing! He was on the run and completely ignored his owner who kept shouting for him to come back!

We delivered all the cards and went home for a mug of hot chocolate laced with Brandy. The alcohol free period has come to an end! I then had a little nap before helping Sophie with the dinner. The recipe was pretty simple but it tasted fabulous! We poached chicken breasts in stock flavoured with star anise, spring onions and garlic then kept them warm before cooking the lovely rice in the same stock. We'd melted some butter and added more garlic to the saucepan and it was lovely and sticky and very delicious! At the end we combined everything and served the meal with soy sauce and a chilli sauce that we'd made. We do need a small chopper to help with cooking so if we go to Jones's next week it'll be worth investing in one!

Tonight's dinner was proper comfort food and one we will definitely be making again. Mike was out with friends but when he came home we told him he'd missed a good one!

No comments: