Thursday 6 December 2018

A marathon journey!

Mike had gone out again last night and hadn't come home so I suspected he was staying at his girlfriend's house. It's Student Night in Northampton and it's like a magnet for him every week!

We had another early start as Sophie was going to Newmarket today and had to be in Thrapston for 6.30am. Thankfully, not as early as yesterday! We dropped her off and returned home where I jumped in the shower and then got ready for work.

Keith wasn't feeling up to doing our weekly shop so he went and bought jacket potatoes for tonight and more soup as Sophie was feeling really poorly. There were huge problems on the O2 network today and she was finding it very difficult to send texts or get any 4G coverage. Her texts went through but I received multiple ones!

Mike also texted me at work - eight times - to let me know he was still alive (always appreciated!) and the problems were affecting millions of people on the network.

I was working with Emma again today and I left at 3pm and sped home. Mike hadn't asked me to collect him but as soon as I arrived Sophie texted me to say they were forty minutes from Thrapston. As I needed to get some diesel for my car it was an ideal time to leave.

We called into Tesco and then heard on the radio that there'd been a problem on the A14 near to the Thrapston exit. However it was beyond the junction and just as we were turning off the phone rang and it was Sophie to say they were stuck in traffic near Cambridge! We were not very happy so we said we'd go for a drink at a pub nearby, just before you get to the small town.

The Woolpack pub had always looked lovely from the outside, but it was full of men drinking who had obviously been to work and had finished early. It was OK, but not quite what I was expecting! There was a very friendly dog in there though, who kept coming over and sitting on my foot!

Sophie eventually arrived at almost 5pm and while we'd been sitting in the pub Mike had called to ask us to pick him up...from East Hunsbury again, a journey of about 25 miles! In rush hour traffic! He couldn't have picked a worse time for us to pick him up if he'd tried!

We set off and went back onto the A14 in the direction of Huntingdon for one exit and then turned off onto the A45 which took us almost to the door of Mike's girlfriend. It was definitely the best route to follow (thank you Google Maps!) but the traffic was very heavy, especially around Rushden Lakes.

We arrived home (after going through the town and avoiding the A45 and A43) at 6pm and Keith bunged the potatoes into the oven to bake. It was then time to have a sit down and a well-earned G&T!

No comments: