Saturday 13 May 2017

Bored stiff...

If I'm brutally honest I wasn't that happy about working on a Saturday but I figured that Sophie was at work all day and Mike was working in the afternoon so I would just get on and do it. I was hoping it would be busy, but how wrong was I...

There was a big Food and Drink Fair going on in Northampton and that could have been the reason we were quieter than a normal Saturday. I arrived early and had a taste of Champagne as it was on special offer over the weekend and I needed to know how it tasted (delicious!).

Although we had customers in and some of them spent a lot of money, it was very quiet and I was bored for most of the day, unfortunately. If there is one thing I can't stand it's being bored and clock watching! I have done this in past jobs and the time goes so slowly. I tried to stop thinking of all the things I could be doing at home instead and just concentrated on getting through the day and going home to a delicious dinner, the Eurovision Song Contest and a glass of wine.

I did try and see if there was anything I could do and walked up and down the aisles familiarising myself with all the different wines on offer. I even dusted some of the bottles of spirits behind the counter! On the plus side I did have some great chats with customers who were obviously enjoying their experience although a couple of people did look like they were about to have their teeth pulled out. If I was spending a small fortune on wine I'd be looking deliriously happy!

I finished just after 5pm as, predictably, we had a rush of customers come in. I didn't mind as I was going to go and wait for Sophie to finish anyway as there was no point in going all the way home to leave again half an hour later. I had a welcome cup of tea and chatted to Maureen whilst waiting for Sophie to finish her shift at 6.30pm.

We then drove home, poured some wine from a bottle I'd bought and enjoyed a delicious beef stroganoff for dinner. Afterwards, it was the Eurovision Song Contest and for once we weren't disgraced!

No comments: