Sunday 7 May 2017

A little sale!

Today dawned a bit grey and overcast but at least it was dry. The forecast had said we might get some light rain showers in the morning...I hoped it was wrong!

Over the road Sue was already out preparing her tables for the garage sale. We were a bit slower to get started but by 8.30am we were nearly set up. As usual, we had a few traders come around very early and one man bought our entire collection of knights and horses, which gave us a very good start!

As the morning wore on it became very busy with cars coming past and slowing down to see what we had to sell. Sue had an enormous amount of people turn up at her house to help as she was running a pop-up cafe on our front green in aid of a local charity and was also doing songs with younger children. It was manic! The sun had come out as well, which was great and added to the fete-like atmosphere!

We had a steady morning and I took Mike to work at midday. He suddenly produced some shirts he wanted to sell as well as his guitar which sold later in the day to a neighbour! The village was also abuzz with people and I'm sure the pub was doing a roaring trade!

Things slowed down a little in the afternoon and Mum and Dad popped over to see how we were getting on. My Mum took a liking to one of my large ornamental plates and two pictures and bought them!

By 2.30pm it was all over and we had made over £100 - enough to go out for a meal tomorrow night to celebrate! As I had my meeting at the wine shop at 3.30pm I went to get ready and left at 3pm. However I was dismayed to find that the road leading into town was closed! Damn! Luckily I had kept the phone number of the man I was meeting so I called him and told him what had happened and that I was on my way but might be a little late.

I arrived two minutes after our agreed time and we had a very informal chat over a cup of tea. He gave me some forms to fill in and said that as soon as they had been sent over he would give me a start date. I was delighted!

Back at home I discovered that Keith had bought a bottle of Cava to celebrate and we all played a couple of games of cards in the conservatory before dinner. A lovely end to a busy and fruitful day!

No comments: