Thursday 11 May 2017

A bit of stress!

Today has been a little bit stressful as I was due to do my first day at the wine shop and Sophie had an exam she'd been dreading for months. I took her to uni and then dropped Mike off at college before driving down to the St James retail park and having a coffee and a cookie in Starbucks. There was no point in dropping Mike off, going all the way home and then driving back into town again.

Keith went to do the shopping on his own (a prospect he was pleased about!) and I have to confess to missing our boring Thursday routine! I was early at work and arrived at the same time as my new colleagues. I was told to move my car as they wanted to leave some room for customers (in hindsight the car park was never full!) and then I was introduced to James who was the assistant manager and Jonathan who was a trainee manager.

We covered a lot of health and safety throughout the morning and I never confessed to James the manager that I'd been responsible for all the health and safety when I ran my business! I didn't say anything and read through all the information on their laptop and completed the quizzes afterwards. It was important that I had to do it and prove I'd read it, but a lot of it was common sense, as always.

There is a lot to learn and the tills were quite complicated but I think I did OK and after a tour of the shop and a couple of transactions I left at 2.30pm. James had neglected to tell me I needed to bring my passport in with me, so they wanted me to go home and scan a copy to the shop so that I would get paid on time this month.

I sped home and ate the sandwich I'd taken with Sophie and then it was time to go and pick Mike up from college, as per our normal routine! I'd enjoyed my day but when I returned from picking up Mike the payroll department had emailed me a load of paperwork about contracts and staff handbooks, which was a bit daunting. They also emailed me a P46 and I have to confess to feeling a bit wistful as these were the forms I used to hand out whenever we had a new starter who didn't supply a P45...

My contract stated that my last day with the company was the 1st July...so no career progression for me then!


No comments: