Monday 1 August 2016

New job!

It's been a very busy day today as I had some ebay items to send off this morning and Keith wanted to go to the bank in Kingsthorpe. We set off at just after 9am, leaving both children in bed. The post office was very busy - probably with other people sending items off!

Back home I had a coffee and relaxed before Sue picked me up at midday. She has asked me to help her with a large garden in a village near Market Harborough and it's far too big for her to tackle on her own. I donned my garden clothes and my walking boots and we set off. Overhead it was cloudy but warm and I hoped it wouldn't rain!

As Sue had warned, the garden was huge! As well as a lawned areas with very weedy borders, there were stables, a vegetable garden, what looked like an orchard in the distance and a chicken run. We started off in one of the borders but then the owners came back and asked us to start weeding in another part of the garden. It was extremely hard work and to make matters worse the garden was on a steep slope! Over the four hours we were there we carted nine wheelbarrow loads of weeds to the bonfire heap and shovelled some compost onto the freshly weeded earth so we wouldn't have to do it all again the next time we visited.

By 3pm we were both gasping for a drink as we'd both forgotten to bring anything with us! Note for next time! The owner of the garden gave us some water and also made us a cup of tea. The heavy clouds passed over us and we managed to escape any rain, which was a bonus. I vowed to be a bit more ready next time and will definitely bring my kneeling mat and some drinks!

It was great to get back in the car and go home for a warm bath to soak my tired muscles. I'm just not used to physical work like that and I wonder how on earth Sue does it every day! After my bath I dressed in lovely clean clothes and awaited Sue's arrival as we'd planned on having wine and nibbles.

Sophie had very kindly cleaned the house for me and everything looked lovely and tidy. Sue arrived and brought some delicious food and a bottle of chilled Prosecco. Perfect! We had a good chat and Keith went off to the pub on his own. He came back an hour and a half later and tucked into the remainder of the nibbles...it was a good job we'd left some as that was his dinner!





No comments: