Friday 26 August 2016

More disappointing news...

I was ready before 9am this morning to work with Sue on the large garden again and it was shaping up to be a hot and sunny day. Paul came with us as he was trimming a couple of overgrown hedges which were beyond Sue and I!

We cut down some plants by the house that had died off and then I collected several wheelbarrow loads of compost for the borders. Sue had to dig out a beautiful plant called Alchemilla mollis as the owner didn't want it in the beds any more and it was very hard work as, although the soil had been softened a bit by yesterday's rain, the roots were still stubborn! We must have carted about nine or ten loads of smelly compost onto the beds as well as pull up some weeds that had flourished in the damp conditions. With the hot sun and lack of shade, it was hard work!

About an hour before we finished we helped Paul with the hedge at the front of the house and then he moved to the one in the back garden. I helped him shovel up all the branches and sweep up the dead leaves from underneath. By 1pm I was more than ready to go home, have a long cool shower and have a wee break! I'd been to see the horse again and had a cuddle and while I was shovelling up compost a little robin paid me a visit! There were loads of worms in the compost! Little, horrible red ones! Ugh!

We left Paul in the garden as he still had a fair amount to do and Sue drove me home. It was stright into the shower before I donned a completely new set of clothes and went shopping with Keith to Aldi and Tesco. I really didn't feel like doing it but I was glad when we had finished and put it all away.

After a quick lunch we went to collect Sophie and then it was home to sit in the garden with a shared bottle of cold beer. I discovered that my application for a job at the university library was unsuccessful. Oh well...better luck with the next one, hey?!

No comments: