Friday 19 August 2016

Return of the rain

Last night it grew increasingly cloudy and windy and at one point I thought we were going to have a storm. This morning we awoke to grey skies and a definite threat of rain.

I was working with Sue again this morning at another house and she picked me up at 9am despite it starting to drizzle. She assured me the garden wasn't as big as yesterday but when I saw it I preferred the much larger garden! The young man who lived in the house was obviously not the slightest bit interested in gardening and hadn't even kept the lawn cut. We worked on the front bit first and Sue cut back the borders and did a bit of weeding while I cleared the driveway and the path. There was rubbish strewn everywhere so it was quite disheartening and I knew there was no way we could do much in two hours to make it look a lot better.

By 11am it had started to rain quite heavily but we'd managed to tidy up the allotment and trim the edges of the borders. We'd also filled two large wheelie bins and were now both soaked and filthy dirty. We finished and before setting off for home we had a cup of tea in the car to try and warm up a bit!

Back home all my clothes went into the washing machine again and I jumped into the shower, which was bliss. Mike wanted us to take him to a friend's house so I just had time to make myself a cup of tea and eat a sandwich before we set off into the rain.

I had to go to the post office today and we chose the very busy Weston Favell centre. It was manic, made worse, no doubt, by the steady downpour! It was lovely to finally get home and relax before it was time to go and pick Sophie up again.

By the evening the rain had stopped and the sun had come out. Sophie was off out with friends to a cocktail bar and Sophia's for a meal so Keith and I had decided to go out as well! Why not? It's been ages since we went out for a meal without the children and I was looking forward to not having to cook while Keith was at the pub.

We drove a very pretty Sophie into town - she took this pic on her phone with the evening sun behind her....


We dropped her off at Rev's bar and then drove the short distance to the Princess Alexandra. The pub was very busy and we had to stand at the bar for a while before we could grab a seat. There was a good atmosphere, though, and it was certainly a change from when we normally go in and it's very quiet!

We had a couple of drinks and then drove to Kingsley to the Imli Lounge Indian restaurant. The place was very quiet so we needn't have booked a table! We had a lovely meal - I chose a butterflied King Prawn to start while Keith had a Lamb Shami Kebab (I think that's what it was). We'd munched our way through poppadums to start the meal off and then Keith was persuaded to have a "Tawa" curry while I went for one of my favourites, a Chicken Korai. We each chose a rice dish (mistake!) and a mushroom bhajee. With a Peshwari Naan, we were soon full to the gunnels!

I wasn't bothered about a dessert but it was either stay a bit longer or go home and then drive all the way back into town so we had a leisurely end to the meal and went to pick Sophie up at 10.30pm. As usual we took Daisy home and the girls were extremely giggly in the car!



No comments: