Monday 29 August 2016

Gatwick bound...

Mum and Dad had asked us to take them to Gatwick today as they are flying off to the Greek island of Paros tomorrow. It couldn't have been a worse day to travel as it's Bank Holiday Monday and the long school summer holidays are nearly over.

I quickly hoovered all through in the morning and gave our en-suite a clean before it was time to shower and drive over to collect Mum and Dad at noon. They were all ready and squeezed into the back of the car with Sophie while Keith sat up front with me.

We made good time until we got past Heathrow and then the traffic slowed. Despite that we were dropping them off at just before 2.30pm so we had certainly made a better time than we did the other week when we went to Brighton! My Dad had been worrying the whole way down that he'd left their passports and documentation at home and the relief on his face when he got out and found them in the hand luggage was wonderful! I didn't fancy another trip back down the same day!

We bid them a fond farewell and drove back to the M25 via Reigate. It was much easier than battling our way onto the M23 and I'll never forget the time we'd arrived back at Gatwick after a long flight from Florida (in 2009) and I missed the turn for the M25. I ended up in central London!

We had no choice but to stop at Cobham services for a bite to eat and a cup of tea. It was packed again, with lots of people wandering around looking very dirty and wearing wellies...I can only assume they'd been at Reading festival and were on their way home!

We set off again and despite all the dire warnings we were home at just after 5pm. Keith was able to go to the pub while I cooked dinner. I wish we'd got delayed now!

No comments: