Saturday 30 April 2016

A little planning...

We awoke to gorgeous skies again this morning but the forecast was for rain later. I had emailed James Villas yesterday about a possible holiday to Florida next year and this morning I received a reply with good prices for three weeks in two different villas.

As it's our Silver Wedding Anniversary next year we wanted to celebrate the actual day in the Keys but I had initially enquired about a week in Orlando and two weeks on the Gulf Coast. The price, which included car hire and flights, was very good, but to our dismay James Villas wanted more than half the total cost in a deposit by the end of June this year!

There was no way Keith and I were going to stump up that much money over a year before we travelled so I went back online and looked at Virgin Holidays. As we wanted a more complicated booking I really wanted to speak to somebody in person and I discovered there was a Virgin travel shop in Tesco on the other side of Northampton. I was able to make an appointment for later in the day and as Keith was off to the last Sileby match of the season, Sophie and I went together.

We saw a very nice man called Dominic and I explained what we wanted to do. He was a bit confused at first as I said we wanted to spend three nights in Key West in the middle of the two weeks we had booked to go to the Gulf Coast but we got there in the end and he gave me a total price for everything, including flights, car hire, two villas, a hotel in Key West for three nights and Universal park tickets. I did gulp a bit when he showed me the quote but it is a special occasion and by the time we go next August we won't have had a holiday for three years.

Feeling very happy Sophie and I returned home and I did a stack of ironing while we waited for Keith to come back. He was a little apprehensive as well but we decided to go back to Virgin next week by which time we'd have discussed the holiday in a bit more detail. I received a phone call from Dominic as the hotel that he had originally quoted turned out to be unavailable for next year and the one he'd suggested was too far away from Duval Street, so we decided to book one ourselves at a later date. the last thing I wanted was to have to drive after our Anniversary meal!

Mike was at a party in the evening so we had a bit of a late night. We went to pick him up at midnight and luckily he seemed pretty sober! Phew!

No comments: