Sunday 10 April 2016

A lunchtime mooch

Keith and I went over to Harrington today to The Tollemache Arms as we hadn't been for ages and we had heard that it had changed hands and improved.

Maybe Sunday lunchtime wasn't the best time to visit as it was very busy with a big family group arriving to eat but there was a very pleasant atmosphere and Keith was impressed with the beers on offer. The pub itself has changed considerably and the layout seems totally different to how it was before. We now know if a pub has been "yuppified". The signs are:

Grey paint on the walls and doors
Warner Edwards Gin for sale - the bigger the range the more expensive the pub
Posh crisps
Leather armchairs and sofas everywhere
New outdoor decking

However, we liked the changes very much and will definitely return, probably in the evening. As it was getting a bit crowded we left and drove on a rubbish-strewn single track road to Braybrooke. Again, it was a pub we hadn't visited for a while but when we arrived this too was undergoing a refurbishment. Another one to re-visit in the near future to see what changes have taken place. I bet Warner Edwards will be behind the bar!

From Braybrooke we drove to Maidwell, to the Stags Head, a pub I have never really liked. Keith and I first came here for a meal 28 years ago for our second date and I have no idea why we have visited again over the years as it has not changed one bit! No Warner Edwards, no posh crisps (I had a Walkers Grab Bag) and the same carpet, I'm sure of it! Keith's beer was awful and he said it tasted sour...

Our last stop was our local and we sat in the window and had a chat with one of the regulars over a pint. It was very quiet in there but we certainly liked this the best of all!

Back home I ventured out into our windy garden and mowed the lawn with my constant companion again. The little robin followed me all over the garden and found a huge worm at one point that he dealt with very efficiently!

Looking for worms

Watching me from the hanging basket bracket

He found the fat snax!

No comments: