Sunday 3 April 2016

A not-so-welcome visitor to the garden!

When we were away last weekend Sophie mentioned to us that she saw a rat in the garden. At first we were reluctant to believe her as we do see the odd squirrel from time to time, but she was adamant it was a rat...and a big one at that!

Over the week I never saw a thing but this morning it appeared as I was sitting at my computer and sat and watched me from under a bush! I shouted to Keith who saw it as well and we both watched it run out, snatch some food from the tray of fat snax I put down for the birds and then scuttle off back along the fence into a neighbouring garden.

Keith went to investigate and found a gap in the fence. There is decking in next door's garden so it might well be living under that. We told Mike who fetched his air rifle and took up guard, sniper-like, by the bedroom window with his sights set on the bird food!

Monty has been doing a very good job lately of bringing us mice and shrews from the fields which means that in the past we may have mistakenly labelled Archie as the killer! Monty brings his presents home and leaves them on the mat for us to find!

Keith was really annoyed about the rat and vowed to do something about it. We went over to Tesco and then I suggested popping into B&Q in Kettering to get a trap but he wanted to get home for the cricket!

It's been a busy day today, preparing for Sophie's birthday on Tuesday. I did my best to make an ice-cream cake and layered raspberry ripple, vanilla and chocolate ice-creams into a large tin. I decorated the top with chocolate buttons and mini Oreos so I'm just hoping that after a couple of days of freezing it will look almost as good as the Gallone's one I buy every year!

I also made a batch of white chocolate and raspberry muffins and we enjoyed one with an afternoon cup of tea. In Tesco I bought a bottle of Tequila and one of Triple Sec as the aim is to treat Sophie to a Margarita when she gets in from work tonight. She's never tried one before but I sampled the cocktail the first time I went to Florida with my parents back in 2009, so I was keen to try one again.

Keith and I both picked her up from work at 6.30pm and I made her the drink as a surprise. Let the celebrations begin!


No comments: