Tuesday 19 April 2016

Rushing about!

This morning was like an exact replica of Monday morning...took Mike to school (how glad I will be when he finishes after the next half-term!) and Keith went for a walk. Sophie was off again today and still battling with the assignment she needed to do!

When Keith arrived home and had showered and changed we went off to the doctor's in Brixworth to hand in our prescriptions and then we decided to drive to the Tesco in  Kettering via the A14 as it was such a beautiful day. The weather and the countryside were looking perfect and the yellow rapeseed crop is really blossoming. With the blue skies, the fluffy white clouds and the yellow fields everywhere looked beautiful.

In Tesco I bought the ingredients to make Panna Cotta and then we popped in to see Mum and Dad on the way home. Keith and I put up a bathroom cabinet for them (I was assistant and got shouted at rather a lot!) and I also linked up their computer with the printer. It only seems to work with a cable so we ordered one from Amazon and I had it sent to our house as the new estate doesn't seem to be recognised just yet!

By now Sophie had called to find out where we were as she was waiting for us to bring her lunch so we headed home and I sat in the garden and ate a sandwich as it has been so gorgeous. I'm going to try and get out to sit in the sun for a little while every day to top up my vitamin D levels. I do not want to be deficient like I was before!

Sophie and I made the Panna Cotta in the afternoon and it was very easy. We just mixed cream, milk, sugar and a vanilla pod, heated the ingredients until they were simmering and then added three gelatine leaves that had been soaking in cold water. When the leaves dissolved we poured the mixture into ramekin pots and let them cool before chilling them in the fridge. To cut corners a bit I bought a bottle of Fruits of the Forest coulis in Tesco to serve on top.

Mike was out in the evening for Army Cadets and Keith was off to a football match so three of us ate early at 6pm, something I don't really like to do. I made meatballs with pasta, Keith's hated meal, so he had oven baked fish instead. Just as Sophie and I were settling down after Keith and Mike had gone the phone rang but I let it go to answerphone. We have had so many nuisance phone calls lately with people wanting to sell us stuff so I let the machine answer for me. The caller put the phone down so I dialled 1471 and discovered it was Keith's phone. When I called Mike said that Army Cadets had been cancelled because of a power cut and could we pick him up from Holcot straight away!

We zoomed off and when we returned we all enjoyed a pot of Panna Cotta. I put the ramekins in boiling water before turning them out but they melted a little so next time I'll put them in for a much shorter time! However they were delicious and the coulis went with them very well!











No comments: