Saturday 12 March 2016

To the rescue!

I was awake at 6.30am this morning, the only day we didn't have to be anywhere so that was a bit of a pain! Why I do this at the weekend, I have no idea!

It was a good job I was awake though as the phone rang at 7am, making me jump. I knew that it could only be bad news but when I answered the call, rather than my parents who I was expecting, it was Sue saying that the downstairs of their house was flooded with water and could we look after the dogs for a while until they sorted it all out.

I raced upstairs to get dressed, and Keith was already up and pulling on his jeans. He went over to Sue and Paul's house and I followed. When I got there the dogs were wet and there was about five inches of water in their hallway. They'd had the water turned off to do some work in their cloakroom but something had happened and water had gushed out of a pipe. Luckily the new flooring wasn't down and the builder was on his way to sort it out.

We took the dogs home with us and kept them in the conservatory and away from Monty who was having a snooze on his bed in the living room. After a while Keith went and fetched their breakfast and after they'd eaten that we took them out for a walk to the village. They were both a bit unsettled and were reluctant to walk with us but we went as far as one of the gates and turned back. They couldn't wait to get back to the estate!

It's been another foggy start to the day and it was quite eerie going for our early walk with the thick fog hanging over the fields. Back home we let them out into the garden (they ate the fat snax that I'd put down for the birds) and then we let them have the run of the conservatory and the garden.

Paul popped in for five minutes to update us on what was going on and I thought he'd come to collect Archie and Bailey so I let them see him, but he had a few more things to sort out before he was able to take them home. This sent Bailey in particular, into a panic and he spent the next half hour whining and pacing to and fro, no doubt missing his doggy dad!

Once they'd gone we set about having breakfast and we woke up the kids who'd missed it all, even Bailey's howling! The weather improved and Mike went off to Heather's house while Sophie and I decided to go out in the afternoon to the Gallone's ice-cream parlour for a treat. Keith was off to the football so we left at the same time and drove to Kingsthorpe. When we parked the car I realised, with a shock, that I'd left my handbag at home so Sophie had to pay! Not sure whether I can get away with that trick again!!

Gallone's was very busy with a few whining children in situ, which annoyed Sophie! We each chose a sundae and sat in the window enjoying them. I suggested to my daughter that we go home, collect my bag and go to Beckworth as I needed to get some chocolates for tonight as we had been invited over to Liam and Sarah's house for a get-together.

Beckworth was full of Spring flowers and Easter goods and we had a nice amble through the greenhouse looking at the new plants. I chose some violas and a pretty purple flowering shrub that should give colour all through the Spring and Summer. I bought a box of chocolates and some tonic water and we headed home.

Mum and Dad popped around for a cup of tea and when they'd gone I helped Sophie prepare her and Mike's dinner before going to get ready. Sophie very kindly did my hair and make-up and Sue and Paul drove which was very good of them,

Our old neighbours had also been invited - Gill and Tim - and we all arrived at the same time. We could see Sarah and Liam's Irish Wolfhound looking out of the window and he was huge! It's been nearly a year since we saw him and he's probably at his full height now! He was very excited to see us and he seemed to have a special connection to Paul who made a fuss of him all night!

We had a lovely evening sitting at the big table in the kitchen and enjoyed a delicious curry and chilli served with rice and jacket potatoes. As always, the wine flowed and it was past midnight before we left to go home!

No comments: