Wednesday 16 March 2016

The perfect murder?

I had another exciting day at Cheltenham as I backed a horse called Blaklion and we had given this horse as a tip to a friend of Sue's who was actually going to be there. Amazingly, the horse won so I was very pleased, as was Sue's friend! Unfortunately, our other tip, Augusta Kate in the last race of the day, didn't do so well, but at least I received some money back for Blaklion.

In the evening Sophie and I picked up Mum and Dad from their house as we were going to see The Perfect Murder at Derngate. It had been a bit of a rush as Sophie hadn't finished work until 5pm but we rushed home, hurriedly ate some dinner and picked Mum and Dad up at 6.30pm.

We had a good run into town and managed to find a parking space on one of the upper floors. Our tickets had been changed because the original seats we'd reserved had a restricted view so we were now in a stalls box. We managed to have a drink before the curtain went up and we were pleased with the view we had.

The sound was another matter, though, and Mum and Dad could hardly hear a word that was being said, which was a real shame. I had to listen carefully and missed the subtitles! The two main characters in the play were Jessie Wallace and Shane Ritchie, both of Eastenders fame and the play was very good. It was about a long-married couple who are fed up with each other and are secretly planning the perfect murder!

I'm not sure if it was being in a box (something we rarely do) but the noise from the audience was really intrusive, as there was a constant cacophony of coughs and rattling of sweet papers which sometimes made it very difficult to hear what was being said. I've never noticed this level of noise in the theatre in the past so I doubt we'll be booking a box again!

We had an ice-cream in the interval and the play ended at 10pm. As per usual, getting out of the car park was a long, slow process so Sophie and I didn't get home until almost 11pm. We'd had a good evening but it was lovely to sit and put my feet up and enjoy a little drink before bed!

No comments: