Friday 18 March 2016

An evening of music

Today dawned grey and overcast, just as the forecast predicted it would be!

Keith went for a walk in the morning and I took Sophie to uni as soon as he arrived back. I'd already picked my horses for today and decided to push the boat out as it was Gold Cup day and chose four...Footpad, Superb Story, Long Dog and Cue Card in the Gold Cup.

Keith picked his winners out and we drove over to the Weston Favell Centre to place our bets. When we returned home Sophie called to say that her friend Hannah was bringing her home so that was good news. We sat and enjoyed the racing and I had a third place with Footpad (Keith's horse Apples Jade came second) and we both won with Superb Story which had me dancing around the room in delight. Unfortunately my good run of luck came to an end with Long Dog who fell (and very sadly died as I later found out) and Cue Card also fell in the Gold Cup. Keith's horse in the main race, Don Cossack, won so he was very pleased.

At 4pm I took Sophie back to uni as she was going out with a crowd of her friends and was staying with Alice at her halls of residence in town. I wasn't looking forward to her going out, especially after the terrible murder of a young girl back in January, but she promised me she wouldn't have too much to drink, and even more importantly, not lose sight of her friends. What a worry youngsters can be!

Keith and I were out ourselves in the evening, as we had been given tickets by Sue to see a Simon and Garfunkel tribute duo who were performing in the village hall. We walked up, which was lovely, and arrived to find the hall already filling up. We sat on the same table as Sarah and Liam and their friends Richard and Sarah and I was very glad they were also attending as it would have been a bit of a tedious night if they hadn't gone!

We started the night with a plate of chilli and then the pair came on, accompanied by a slide show of various album covers and several interviews, mostly with Paul Simon. The two men singing bore no resemblance whatsoever to the famous duo and I did say it would have been great if the Art Garfunkel one had sported a wig! As they started singing my husband, who has a filthy mind, spotted that their shadows on the wall made extremely X-rated movements and when he pointed it out to us all, we were virtually helpless with laughter... not really the kind of reaction they were hoping for, I'm sure!

They did some very well-known songs such as Bridge Over Troubled Water, Scarborough Fair, America and Mrs Robinson, but they also did some very obscure ones as well, which I don't think went down that well with the audience. We all got into trouble in the second half as we were being a little rowdy and the two women at the top of our table (whom we didn't know) kept saying "Shhh!" Oh dear!

Keith and I both agreed that if it hadn't been for Sarah and Liam and their friends we would probably have left half way through, but the wine flowed (well, for me it did) and as Sue had very kindly bought numerous bottles of Keith's favourite beer, he was very merry.

Walking home was a bit harder than walking up as we were both a bit tiddly and when we got home we sat and drank several glasses of water to sober up! I went to bed but I knew I wouldn't sleep and at 3am I was swapping messages with Sophie who was calling into McDonald's before going back to Alice's flat!


No comments: