Thursday 23 January 2014

Sad news

Keith called me at work this afternoon with some sad news - his niece, who is only a few years older than me, died this morning after a long illness. I first met Janet when Keith and I started going out 26 years ago and she was a real character. She'd just returned from a trip to the US and had a twang to her strong North-East accent! I'm not sure it was real or part of Janet's image but we always got on well over the years and she was a lovely person.

Keith's two nephews run a very successful Plant Hire business which Keith's brother-in-law started years ago and Janet worked with them. At some point when she was much younger she was exposed to asbestos and she's been battling cancer for most of her life. Despite several trips to the US to have treatment it's finally claimed her life and although we knew she was ill, it was a huge shock nonetheless.

It just brings it home to me how precious life is and how it's so important to make the most of every day, even though sometimes life can be stressful and difficult. Who knows what's around the corner?


No comments: