Wednesday 18 October 2023

Angry words...

I was woken at 7.30am by the care home saying my Dad had had yet another fall during the night and the paramedics had been called out to him. This is the third instance of them falling over now, so I might try and speak to someone when I see Mum this afternoon.

Sophie arrived home at 8am, and before she arrived I cleaned out the cat litter tray and washed the food bowls so everything was clean. I hoped she'd have a better day in the conservatory with them!

I had so much to do this morning and I tackled my car tax, car insurance, and pet insurance for the kitties and arranged a vet appointment for next Wednesday for their second vaccination. Keith and I also called Bell's in Leicester to ask if we could go and see them next Wednesday to talk about the storage of Mum and Dad's furniture. We need to make a hard decision about what to do with everything as they can't justify spending £200 a month on the bills.

After all that was sorted out, I prepared tonight's dinner, a sausage and cabbage soup. I had to finely chop a couple of onions, shred a Savoy cabbage and take the sausage meat out of their skins and roll them into little balls.

So, the morning was a busy one, and at 2.30pm I went to collect Mum and we popped to Tesco for a coffee and some shopping. The cafĂ© was full when we first arrived, so we did our shopping and then sat down with a drink. The poor girl serving was completely on her own, which explained why half the seating area was roped off. 

We sat and chatted and then it was time to take her back. I managed to speak to their senior carer when I walked with her back to the room, and she said she was going to try and swap the beds around in their room to prevent any more falls.

Dad had a gash across his forehead but before I could ask him how he was, he asked if I'd brought the photo albums he'd wanted with me. Of course, I'd forgotten, as they're in the garage and out of sight, and he was quite nasty about it. I shouted back that I had enough on my plate at the moment, so it was not a good end to the visit. My Dad never asks how I am or enquires about Keith and the children, and it seems every time I visit he demands something or another.

I drove home feeling annoyed, and as soon as Sophie finished work we sat in the kitchen and had a chat. I started to prepare the dinner and had to cook the sausage balls in the oven. I fried the onions and then the cabbage and added wholegrain mustard and beef stock. The little sausage balls went in at the end and the soup did look like the recipe picture.

Unfortunately, the soup was not very good and I won't count it as one of my best! Needless to say, we didn't pack it up for our lunch tomorrow!

No comments: