Friday 10 March 2023

We won!

This morning was worse than yesterday! At 6am it was snowing again, but the road seemed clear outside the house, so Sophie set off for the gym as usual. 

By the time I left, at about 7.30am, it was snowing heavily. I set off in my car as it was under cover, but Keith called me (he'd been in bed when I left) to make me come back, as he was worried about one of my tyres looking a little deflated yesterday. I turned around in Walgrave and headed back home to get my Dad's car, which was covered in snow!

The journey to work was not pleasant and it was snowing hard. I took it carefully, my heart in my mouth, especially when I descended the hill to Holcot. I made it to work well before 8am but I was relieved to see the weather forecast for sun and much drier weather later in the day.

My eye has made a rapid recovery so the eye drops worked, and I was able to wear my contact lens again today to drive to work. I had a major problem, though, first thing when I tried to access the emails and internet side of our system at work and was forced into calling our IT department, in the end, to see if they could help. To cut a long story short, I had to change desks in the end, because when I was able to access our emails and internet, I couldn't log onto the phone! Arrgghh!

I was very glad when my shift was over at 4pm and I could go home! Outside, it was sunny and dry, and completely different to this morning when it was grey and snowy! I couldn't believe it was the same day!

Back home I had a bath as Sophie and I were out tonight at the village hall for the Cricket Club quiz! We had a Tesco Finest curry before we went, and a glass of wine, as Keith had very kindly offered to drive us.

We were in a team of seven with Lynn, Julie, Richard, Simon and Sheila. Once the queue at the bar had died down, Sophie went to buy a bottle of wine, to be told they'd sold out and there was only a horrible blush wine available! I was speechless! Looking around I could only see a couple of bottles of wine so they must have only bought a few to sell! The man behind the bar told us not to worry as someone was going to go out and buy some more!

We did very well in the quiz, and at the first interval, we were lying second. I think the lovely bottle of Shiraz we were enjoying helped! Sophie's raffle tickets won her a place in the "Higher or Lower" game and she won £20! Yippeee! She was ecstatic! We also did very well in the second half of the quiz, and when the other teams began giving their scores, we realised we'd won! Yes!

Sophie and raffle tickets!

Before the evening ended, we had the raffle and Sophie won three prizes! Three! She nabbed a bottle of Prosecco, an Easter egg and a set of storage jars! What a night! Our prize for winning the quiz was a £50 voucher for the White Horse pub, which we decided to donate to the next raffle for the charity, Home Start. It had been a brilliant evening, with lots of laughter, and I suspect that Julie's husband, Richard, was the secret to our success!

No comments: