Sunday 19 March 2023

Mother's Day!

I enjoyed a lovely relaxed start to Mother's Day and opened a card from Sophie with beautiful photos on the front! We pottered about and I set the table for lunch and hoovered, while Sophie made a salad.

We collected my parents at 1pm, and I have to say I wasn't looking forward to getting my Dad in and out of the car. I was terrified he was going to fall. However, it all went very smoothly and he was soon sitting at the table with a glass of red wine in his hand! Next to him was Mum with a G&T so both of them were happy! I was surprised to read this morning from my earlier blog entries, that this was the first time since 2019 that we'd celebrated Mother's Day properly! Mother's Day 2020 was just before lockdown and my Dad had broken his leg a month earlier so he was housebound, in 2021 we were in lockdown, and in 2022, I had covid so I was isolating! 

Mum was delighted with the card I gave her, as well as a box of chocolates. We chatted for half an hour and then enjoyed a lunch of cold meats, quiche, salad and new potatoes. It was lovely to be sitting in the conservatory on a gorgeous sunny day and it was mild, which meant we didn't have to have the heater on!

We lingered over lunch and then enjoyed a strawberry trifle for dessert. We sat and reminisced about holidays, and I'm looking forward to finishing the book I have planned for them, with my old diaries and photos from holidays since 1980.

We took Mum and Dad back at about 4pm and the care home was busy with people visiting their mums. We returned home to relax and play Scrabble, and I narrowly beat Sophie! Well, it is Mother's Day! It was great to think we hadn't got to cook this evening and we enjoyed some of the delicious Indian sweets that Sophie had brought home yesterday. They were very moreish!

No comments: