Wednesday 15 March 2023

Doing jobs!

I went back to bed this morning, even though I didn't feel particularly tired, but was woken by the sound of constant tapping. When I ventured into the kitchen I saw that Keith had chopped up a mountain of vegetables ready for the Mulligatawny soup we were having for dinner tonight. There's a scene in the film The Slipper and the Rose where Cinderella is forced to prepare vegetables for a feast and they're piled up high all around her, and this was reminiscent of that. He had even chopped up piles of potatoes, which aren't actually an ingredient in the soup! That explained the sound of tapping! Sadly, for Keith, he didn't have a Fairy Godmother to help out!

We decided, for the third and hopefully, last time (for a while anyway) to go to the Weston Favell Centre to pay in the remainder of our £1 and £2 coins, and pop to Tesco and the Post Office. After we'd completed our errands and shopped in the supermarket, we had a coffee and a late breakfast in Costa and then returned home.

My job this afternoon was to clean the conservatory as my parents are coming to lunch on Sunday. Keith was engrossed in the racing at Cheltenham so I was on my own, up and down step-ladders and doing as much as I could. It looked a lot better when I'd finished but some of the cleaning involved balancing precariously on the very top of the ladder which I was not very keen on doing!

We left the last side until the weekend as I had the soup to prepare. I was grateful to Keith for all of the preparation and very soon the vegetables were simmering nicely in the big casserole dish with a decent helping of curry paste. The one thing we didn't have was mango chutney so we drove over to Mawsley to get some. They had everything but the chutney, so we drove home and made do with what we had. I think the chutney makes it unnecessarily sweet anyway, so we didn't miss the ingredient!

All I had to do later in the evening was blitz it with our stick blender and add rice. With grilled naan bread it was delicious and very warming on a chilly Spring evening!

Sophie and I watched an excellent documentary on the six wives of Henry VIII this evening and it made the King out to be a very nasty man indeed!

 

No comments: