Sunday 5 March 2023

Mistaken identities!

The weather has been dull and cloudy today with a chilly wind blowing, so not the nicest of Sundays. Winter is still definitely with us even though technically, it's meteorological Spring! I listened to the last ever Ken Bruce show this morning on BBC Sounds and felt a real pang that he would no longer be on Radio 2 on weekday mornings. Just lately, I haven't had a lot of opportunities to listen to him, but Keith and I both love Popmaster and Ken Bruce is taking it with him to his new show. Maybe on a Wednesday I'll track him down on his new radio station and tune in! I wonder how long Jeremy Vine will last!

Sophie went over to Olney today to see Daisy and Laura, do some shopping, and have lunch. Keith and I had booked a table at The White Horse in Old for lunch as tomorrow we're celebrating 35 years together! I can hardly believe it! Our first date on Sunday 6 March was to Brighton!

We drove up and the pub was pleasantly buzzing with Sunday lunchtime diners. As we walked through to our table, a young man stood up and hugged me, greeting both of us like we were long-lost friends! He looked familiar but I couldn't place him! When Keith joined me at our table a couple of minutes later he said it was Charlie Batch, a friend of Mike's... but he looked completely different! I always used to joke that Charlie Batch looked like a younger version of Robert Smith from The Cure, and the young lad we'd said hello to looked nothing like him!

A few minutes later he came over to us and I suddenly knew who he was! The son of old friends who lived on our estate, Matt, who had been away at university for the last four years. His family had moved away and he did look different, but I knew it wasn't Charlie, even though he sometimes works at the pub and Keith had assumed it was him! We had a laugh and a chat and he asked after Mike and Abbie as he knew them from way back when. 

We ordered drinks (beer and a glass of red wine for me) and our lunch. Keith chose sticky chicken to start, while I opted for Brixworth paté and melba toast. As it was Sunday, Keith chose roast pork while I went for the beef, both portions of meat served with roast potatoes, cabbage, carrots, Yorkshire pudding and gravy.

The starters were delicious but Keith was a little disappointed with his pork which he said was tasteless. My beef was thickly cut and tender but I would have loved another Yorkshire pudding!

We were too full for puds so we paid the bill (£80 with a tip) and returned home. For the rest of the afternoon, we did very little, and I lounged on the bed reading and having a nap.

Sophie returned home at about 6pm and we cracked open a bottle of Champagne. We relaxed in the living room and talked about our days. Sophie had found some excellent buys in the Olney charity shops and was delighted with her clothes! She paid £34 for six items! Bargain!


No comments: