Wednesday 8 March 2023

Plans thwarted!

Today has not been enjoyable at all, and I was glad when this particular Wednesday was over! I went back to bed after seeing Sophie off at 6am, and when the alarm woke me a little later, I did not want to get up. My eye was still bloodshot, and after I'd had my first coffee of the day I felt very off-colour.

Keith wanted to go to the bank to take some more £1 and £2 coins to pay into his account. He's been saving them in a big pot for a good few years, and we decided that it was silly to keep them in the house as by now we can hardly lift the thing, it's so heavy! We've been using the coin counter at the bank in the Weston Favell Centre to count the coins and then put them into our joint account.

The weather today has been bitterly cold again, with constant sleety, light snow falling. We trekked over to the Weston Favell centre, called in at the bank, took an ink cartridge to Tesco to be recycled, and popped into Boots so I could get something for my eye. The pharmacist was busy, so the woman serving behind the counter gave me some eye drops for bloodshot eyes. I haven't worn my contact lens for a couple of days, hoping that will help, but I don't like things like this and was a little worried. The good thing is that I don't have blurred vision or a bad headache, so I'm hoping it's just irritation.

We had a coffee and something to eat at Costa, and before heading home we called into the Co-op at Moulton to take a box of books to be sent to Ziffit, and a couple of bags of Tassimo discs to be recycled via Podback. We were soaked walking into the shop as by now it was snowing properly!

Chores completed, we drove home in the gloom, and I spent a dreary and monotonous afternoon printing off over a hundred pages of bank statements for the council, a job I felt extremely resentful of. Looking back to 2020, and all the transactions, I felt a little violated that somebody would be poring over them and examining all the payments. It was a horrible feeling.

Sophie came home and rushed upstairs to get ready for a date with Vikesh. They were going to eat at Five Guys in Rushden Lakes, and I was worried about the weather. The light sleet of this morning had been replaced with big, fat, flakes of snow, and it was settling fast on the road outside the house.

Sophie came back downstairs at just after 6pm, and I stared anxiously out at the gathering snow. I really didn't want her to go, as I didn't know how competent Vikesh was driving in the snow. He has a BMW, which is nice and sturdy, but they would be taking country roads to get to Wellingborough and I was not happy!

I needn't have worried. He called Sophie at 6.30pm to say that cars were having difficulty negotiating the hill up to Walgrave from Holcot, and he was going to turn around and go home. I felt very sorry for him as he was obviously uncomfortable with the weather conditions, but I felt it was the right decision. Sophie was disappointed and was annoyed with me as I was so relieved, but I didn't care!

She had been salivating over what burger she was going to enjoy but had to make do with breaded fish and oven chips instead! Oh, dear! It was a very subdued and quiet evening, and outside, the snow continued to fall!


No comments: