Sunday 2 January 2022

Plans thwarted...

Sophie woke this morning with a cold and a sore throat, which was not a good sign. We were due to leave to go to the Rugby at 12pm so I made her take a test, just in case... it was a good job I did as she tested positive... Can you imagine if she hadn't?

At first, there wasn't a line, but as the minutes ticked away, one appeared. She was very upset indeed, but I said it was bound to happen sooner or later, and any one of us could have picked up the virus anywhere - the pub, work, going shopping, last night when we went out, the list goes on. We're having to try and live our lives now alongside this virus, and all of us have been double vaccinated and boosted.

Keith and I did a lateral flow test straight afterwards and both our results were negative. We're now just having to wait and see if we develop any symptoms. Sophie ordered a PCR test to be delivered and they estimated it would arrive within the next few days.

I tried to get in touch with Anthony to let him know we weren't able to make the Rugby today, and then I drove over to Tesco at Kettering to see if I could get some lateral flow tests as we were now out of them completely. I'd ordered some on Friday, but with the Bank Holidays, they might not get to us before Tuesday.

Unfortunately, Tesco had no tests at all, and after quickly buying something for my and Sophie's dinner this evening, I went to another couple of pharmacies in Kettering but had no luck. Back home I called my manager, Sara, and explained the situation. She had some she could lend me so I drove over to her house in Rushden and collected three, making sure to keep my distance and wear a mask. At least now I can take a test before I go to work tomorrow.

Sophie had the classic symptoms of a cold - stuffy nose, slight sore throat and bouts of sneezing. She kept away from us for the rest of the afternoon, but when was she infectious? Today? Or yesterday? We hadn't got a clue!

With the extra time, I managed to put a colour on my hair, which was great as I had started to resemble a badger! The weather today has been gloomy and dull but it's due to get colder next week, with even a chance of snow in some areas.

Although we had expected it sooner or later, it was a shock to think the virus was now in our house. My worry is Keith getting it as he does suffer from coughing in the winter and any cold he has goes straight onto his chest. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed!


No comments: