Thursday 13 January 2022

Out and about...

As it was a cold morning, we put the heating on and unfortunately, one of the small pipes in the boiler in the kitchen started dripping... we are both heartily fed up with this now and thought that all of our central heating problems were over and done with! We texted Sophie to ask her if she could contact the obnoxious little plumber again, as she had his details on her phone, and ask that he come out yet again.

At about 8am Keith and I took my Dad's car for its MOT, to the garage in Moulton. It was another gorgeous morning with frost and winter sunshine, and the roads were busy with school traffic.

From the garage, we drove straight to Kettering to do our shopping and then it was home for a late breakfast of toasted brown sourdough bread, which was delicious. Just after we'd finished eating, the garage rang to say the car was ready for collection. We decided to go and pick it up but visit Wilko's first, though, as I had run out of bird food, and with the colder temperatures at the moment, our little feathered friends needed some sustenance!

At the garage, Dad's car had had its MOT and a full service and was all set to go. My car has been making some clattering noises when it's stationary, and the mechanic said it was the flywheel. He estimated it would be about £800 to put right, but I could leave it for a while yet, so not to worry! That'll be something we'll definitely have to sort out at some time in the future but we were relieved we could leave it a while!

We returned home and I received an email from the care home to say that my Mum had left the heated curlers I'd bought her for Christmas in reception, as she didn't want them. As they'd cost me about £40 we went to get them straight away and I'll give them to Sophie to use. She loves curling her hair so the heated curlers will be a useful addition to her range of beauty products!

I spent the rest of the afternoon preparing Mulligatawny soup for dinner and then doing some much-needed housework, hoovering downstairs, giving the kitchen a good clean and mopping the floor. By the time I'd finished the house looked lovely and I lit some candles to make everything cosy!

Over the past few days, Keith and I have been sitting at the kitchen island in the evening after we've watched the news headlines, and have been playing cards, which is lovely. Sophie joins us to chat and we put the heating on in there, so it's warm. This evening's dinner was very easy - the soup just needed to be blended and then a bag of rice added before heating up. With some naan bread, it was a delicious meal!


No comments: