Wednesday 12 January 2022

A sneaky breakfast!

I had a lie-in this morning, which was lovely, but my good fortune was Sophie's pain as she had a headache and had decided not to go to the gym, poor thing. She left at about 8am in frosty, but beautifully sunny conditions.

I went and picked my Mum up at 9am to take her for a hospital appointment, a yearly consultation with the Parkinson's Disease consultant. We were very lucky to find a space, and even luckier that a kind woman gave us her parking ticket, valid for another two hours! 

We were both quizzed about coming into contact with anyone with Covid (me) but thankfully, I was allowed to go into the meeting with Mum. The consultant mentioned that it had been ten years since her diagnosis and she was doing very well. with hardly any sign of the disease at all, apart from a slowing down of her movements.

We were in the meeting for barely ten minutes, and as we had both missed breakfast, decided to go to Beckworth to have something to eat there. It was only 10.30am so the breakfast service was still on. I had a "light" breakfast (the usual suspects) while Mum had scrambled eggs on toast. We both had very good hot coffee, but I noticed the prices have crept up again, with a large filter coffee priced at £3.40!

After we'd eaten we had a good look around the shop and I picked out a beautiful cushion as a present from Mum for my birthday. I had seen the cushion before Christmas and wanted it, but now it was the ideal gift!

Before taking Mum back we called to my house so I could pick up the clothes I'd washed for her, and then we returned to the care home. We'd made the most of being out, as they have now closed the care home for visits out until the threat of Omicron passes, which is a real shame.

I had suggested to Keith that we pop over to Market Harborough in the afternoon as I wanted to get my engagement and wedding rings resized. I managed to get them off my finger last night using vaseline and I didn't want to wait too long to get them sorted. As soon as I got back from seeing Mum we drove over and headed straight for a jeweller's in the middle of the town. 

We waited a little while as the woman in the shop was busy with another customer, and when it was our turn I explained what I wanted. The woman, wisely, said for me to wait up to eight weeks to get the rings resized as my finger looked a little swollen from where I'd removed the wedding bands. If she resized my finger now, it might be too big!

We left the shop and went in search of a turkey at Hobb's, the fishmonger and poulterer. I fancied having turkey for a Sunday roast but it's very difficult to find one after Christmas! When we enquired, they said they had a frozen one in their freezer from Christmas, but the woman serving said that a local Spar had some leftover turkey crowns in their ice-box compartment! 

We walked to the shop, which was a fair distance away, and managed to bag one for £11! We carried it all the way back to the car and then went to get some petrol from the Tesco on the outskirts of Market Harborough. There was a long queue because of roadworks so we took a different route home, following signs for Braybrooke, and ending up on very muddy narrow lanes in the countryside. I'm glad I didn't get my car washed like I'd planned to!





No comments: