Wednesday 26 January 2022

A busy day!

It was Mike's birthday today, but he sent me a rather unpleasant text first thing this morning accusing us of taking fleas down to their flat on Saturday... Monty is the cleanest cat I have ever known and has never had fleas. It was Archie who used to pick up worms and fleas, as he spent so much time out of doors. I was upset with the text, as I was going to send him lots of birthday messages and this certainly took the shine off his day. 

I consoled myself with a cup of delicious coffee from my new machine. It arrived yesterday but it was too late when I got home to have a coffee! I would have been up all night!

Sophie's car was booked in for its MOT and we dropped it off at Moulton at 8am. At least the weather has improved today, and it's been gorgeous with blue skies and plenty of winter sunshine. After dropping the car at the garage we had a coffee at Cafe 900 opposite where Sophie works, and I treated myself to a sausage bap for breakfast. The woman behind the counter was delighted to see us and remembered my choice of coffee, bless her! Sophie hasn't been in for a while so we all had a good chat. Sophie is so lucky to have a good cafe on her doorstep!

After we dropped our daughter off at work we drove home, and I had half an hour spare before I was due to pick up my Mum from the care home. She'd arranged a Chiropodist appointment at 12pm and I said I would take her. The care home is still closed for visitors so it was an ideal opportunity to get her out for a few hours!

At the appointment, she had her feet sorted out expertly by Mrs Kirwan, and we chatted about Mallorca. Mrs Kirwan owns an apartment in Puerto Pollensa and had been out in November when they'd had eleven days of rain. It just shows how lucky we were in December!

After the appointment, we went to Beckworth for lunch. It wasn't my ideal choice but it was better than the Weston Favell centre! The restaurant was busy and we lunched on a jacket potato with chilli (Mum) and tomato, red pepper and basil soup (me).

Keith called while we were eating to say Sophie's car was ready. It had needed new rear brake discs and pads so we had warned Sophie that the bill may be a bit higher than she'd expected, poor thing! I dropped Mum off and went to collect Keith, but before we went to get the car I called into the little hardware shop in Brixworth to buy a flea comb. We used to have several but in the upheaval of the kitchen renovation, they were lost.

I tried to get my absolutely filthy car washed on the way home but there were already three cars waiting so I gave up. It's really getting to the point where I can't stand it any longer, and as we haven't had any rain for a while, it really is disgusting!

Back home, I thoroughly combed Monty (he loved it) and spread out the bits of fur on a piece of white paper. There was not one flea at all. I texted Mike and sent him a photo but he ignored everything I said and went on to say that we personally had made Hugo bleed. Naturally, I was extremely upset by what he said. What a birthday!

I was able to quickly hoover downstairs, and then it was time to collect Sophie from work. Tonight, she was going out with Laura for a meal so we were given instructions to be early! I had to drive as fast as I could on the way home, and she left for her meal at about 6.30pm. 

Keith and I had a very quiet night after she left... what a day!



No comments: