Saturday 29 January 2022

Catching up!

After the perfect lie-in (I woke at about 7.45am) Keith and I had a lazyish morning. Sophie contacted me to say she would be getting the train home at about 1pm, so Keith and I went out and managed to get my car washed. We had to queue but it was worth it to get rid of all the muck that was covering it!

We drove home, I titivated the outside and then went to collect Sophie from the station. She'd had a great time and had loved seeing Aries with Zain. He had enjoyed it as well and had been bopping along to the music. We chatted about what she'd been up to and she horrified me with tales of the prices they'd paid in London. Even she was fed up with paying £10 for a glass of mediocre wine (I'd pay £10 for a bottle if it was a special occasion!) and £80 for a Thai meal that they had to eat in twenty minutes, as the restaurant was closing.

I understand a lot of places will need to recoup some of the money they lost during the pandemic, but surely this is daylight robbery? A £10 price tag for wine must mean a huge mark-up for the restaurant. I simply wouldn't pay it, London or not!

We decided to have a quick Subway lunch and we both chose wraps with lots of added salad. We even had some delicious little chicken bites and a cookie! £12 for both of us!

Back home I prepared the vegetables and chicken for our Chow Mein this evening, and then we relaxed and chatted about a programme I'd watched called You Are What You Eat. I had to show Sophie what one of the women was putting away every day - between 5000 and 8000 calories! I didn't feel so guilty about the odd biscuit I eat, but I'm trying to cut them out!

Keith came home from the football looking half-frozen but the temperatures have been very mild today, about 15c. It was getting colder outside, though, so we put the heating on and Sophie and I played Scrabble and drank the Champagne that Keith and Sophie had bought for my birthday. It was a Blanc de Noirs from Aldi, and it was delicious and made entirely from red grapes, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier.

Sophie and I cooked dinner - I stir-fried onions, a pepper, asparagus, garlic and ginger, and then added the chicken. Once that was all cooked I added ham, frozen peas and noodles and poured over dry sherry, soy sauce and sesame oil. Meanwhile, Sophie used a ready-cooked packet of rice and added an egg to make a side dish of egg-fried rice. The meal was delicious!

After we'd eaten we were transported to the Caribbean to watch Death in Paradise. I wish I was there!




No comments: