Thursday 20 January 2022

A little home cooking...

After a relaxed start to the day (I went back to bed again!) Keith and I did our shopping. I sent off the Tassimo discs at a small shop in Broughton, which is a lot easier than going to Milton Keynes!

I managed to resist stopping for a coffee at Costa in Tesco and just before midday, we were all finished and heading home. Lunch was a sausage roll and a cup of tea, and then we finished the conservatory. At one point we were both balanced on the arm of the sofa trying to reach the corner of the window frames, and how we didn't fall off, I'll never know! Everything looked so much cleaner so I'm really pleased we tackled it, despite the dodgy balancing act!

After that was all done I set about making a pea and ham soup with the meat we didn't use for the pie yesterday. I chopped up an onion and a potato, gently fried them with some garlic and then added ham stock (yes, we found some in Tesco!) and almost a whole bag of frozen petit pois and the chopped up smoked ham.

I let it all cook together for a while and then took it off the heat to infuse together. To go with it I made a seed bread from a recipe in the newspaper - I combined a whole tub of natural yoghurt, oats, mixed seeds, olive oil, bicarbonate of soda and salt and plopped it into a lined loaf tin. It cooked in the oven for about fifty minutes and looked lovely when I brought it out.

Keith and I played cards this evening and all I had to do with the soup was blend it and then heat it up. Before serving I sprinkled some chopped up ham on top, and that was it! Sophie said it was one of the most delicious things I'd ever cooked, and another helping went into the fridge for her lunch tomorrow. The seed bread was lovely spread with a little butter, and I'm sure it would be very good toasted.

We watched some tennis again this evening and we were all disappointed that both Andy Murray and Emma Raducanu have been knocked out of the Australian Open. Never mind!

No comments: