Thursday 1 April 2021

Revised plans.

Day 87

Today has been another, very busy day. I am looking forward to a bit of a break over Easter! I was forced to go shopping with Keith this morning as I needed to get Easter gifts from my parents for the children (and me!), and gifts for Sophie whose birthday is on Monday. This year her special day has coincided with Easter, as it tends to do most years!

We went shopping a bit later than Keith normally goes, and both supermarkets were busy. We met my old work colleague Lisa (after-school club) in Aldi, with her daughter Syd, so it was great to stop and have a quick chat with them. Syd starts secondary school in September, which I found unbelievable! How the years have flown by!

Keith and I separated in Tesco, and I bought Easter Eggs, presents for Sophie and greetings cards. The choice of Easter Eggs was staggering, and the aisle made my head spin! As well as buying different things for different people, I helped Keith find the ingredients for a meal we're cooking on Sunday evening. We eventually found desiccated coconut, but we had to search high and low! I now know how he feels when we give him weird and wonderful ingredients to find!

After shopping, we put some diesel in the car and sped home, only to realise that we had less than an hour to put everything away, and have some breakfast because we had an appointment at Benchmarx Kitchens at 12pm! We literally threw all the shopping in the cupboards and into the fridge, made tea and coffee and wolfed down some toasted hot cross buns!

We left a little earlier than we needed to, and we were glad we did as there were long queues at Brixworth tip. There must have been twenty cars waiting to go in so I should think they'd be waiting an hour or more to dump their unwanted stuff! It made overtaking the whole line of traffic quite dangerous, but luckily an oncoming car let us through! I made a mental note not to go that way home!

We arrived at Benchmarx Kitchens with fifteen minutes to spare and there were no parking spaces at all. I drove on and then turned around, and when we came back we were lucky to squeeze into a space. Perhaps the Greggs outlet opposite had something to do with the popularity of the place!

We had a little delay before we were allowed in, and while we waited I looked at the cabinet doors. The colour we had originally chosen looked horrible - it was a dirty grey, so we discussed the possibility of the midnight blue instead.

With Danny the kitchen designer, and Andrew from Highfields, we revised the design of the kitchen to our satisfaction. We have added glass-fronted cupboards on either side of the plinth on the wall by the existing window and changed the island so we have a stool at one end and another "kitty-corner", with more storage underneath. Danny changed the colour as well, so we have the midnight blue cabinets with a white marble-ish worktop and nickel handles. Keith and I were very pleased, and they said they'd have the updated design and costings with us by next Wednesday.

In the meantime, we will look at fridge-freezers, and prices for the washing machine and dishwasher. Highfields will supply Bosch appliances, but I want to make sure we get good value with these so I'll be doing some research!

We dashed home, did some tidying up, and then it was time to go and get Mike. The golf club car park was packed with cars but we managed to bag a space opposite the putting green. so at least we had a view!

Both Mike and Sophie are off for four days over the weekend so at least we have a break! After playing cards for an hour, Sophie and Keith cooked paella, which was delicious. I'm looking forward to having a lie-in tomorrow, but I have a feeling I'll be awake early as usual!







No comments: