Wednesday 28 April 2021

Recycling matters!

I was off work again today and it was lovely to potter about this morning and not have to rush. We had made the decision to take the recycling to Milton Keynes as it was threatening to overwhelm our garage! I'd had enough of the boxes and the bags everywhere!

We had a very easy journey to Milton Keynes and dropped off a bootful of pet food pouches and Tassimo pods. Another load saved from landfill! We took the scenic route home via the A5 and we were amazed to see all the building work around junction 15 - it looks like they're making a new industrial park.

I'd suggested Jerk Chicken Pasta for dinner tomorrow night, but we had one problem - we didn't have any Jerk paste. I thought Asda stocked it so we headed there but after scouring the shelves and asking one of the staff, there was none to be had at all. We bought a few other things in Asda and then we were forced to go to Tesco at Weston Favell as I knew for sure they had it there.

I can't remember the last time we had visited - certainly not this year - and it was strange seeing the cafes still closed up. I managed to find the paste and bought three jars to make sure we had enough for the future! 

On the way out we witnessed a furious man shouting at one of the checkout staff. He was yelling at him to not throw his purchases down the conveyor belt! It's a good job he wasn't shopping in Aldi!

Back home it was lunch and then I resumed my sorting in the garage, this time for the recycling we collect locally. I was fed up by now as I really didn't want to spend the whole day doing this! I had lost track of the time, and Keith appeared to tell me it was well past 2pm and we had to go for Mike! Where has today gone?!

After collecting Mike, I re-potted our basil and mint plants, and finally was able to relax! Dinner this evening was a chicken noodle soup, and I started the preparations by chopping up ginger and garlic, making stock and simmering the chicken for about twenty minutes.

Before doing the final cooking, we sat and discussed the meals for the rest of the week, and enjoyed a non-alcoholic cocktail in the conservatory. Sophie was going to cook a meal from her new Indian cooking book, but the list of ingredients just for the sauce ran on for far longer than we had realised. We didn't fancy sending poor Keith out to try and get it all!

After the delicious soup, served with garlic bread, Sophie and I retired upstairs to watch a film, Bottle Shock about the 1976 comparison of French and Californian wines, and we applied a bright green mask to our faces which made me look like the Grinch!

No comments: