Friday 23 April 2021

Thank goodness it's Friday!

I was back at work today and manning the phones with Kathy. It started off being very busy as usual but it did quieten down after an hour, so that was a relief. Even so, I took some very annoying phonecalls on my shift, and these are the top five irritating ones:

Number 5: Dogs barking in the background

Number 4: People thinking it's a good idea to call and discuss swimming lessons for their children whilst driving. It's bad enough when the children are members, but extremely annoying when they're not, and you have to explain the whole process to them against a background of car noise.

Number 3: Callers asking inane questions that can easily be answered by a couple of clicks on the internet. They normally say they find the website confusing. I forgive genuine calls, but I would say 90% of these callers are lazy and can't be bothered to find out the information themselves.

Number 2: Callers who bombard me with questions and move on to another before I've had time to answer the first question they ask. 

Number 1: Children screaming in the background, and I mean screaming. Why? There is a scene in the excellent film, Mrs Doubtfire when Robin Williams's character is calling his wife about the job she's advertised. He adopts several different, and horrific, personas and one of them is screaming "Layla! Git back in your cell!" I sometimes feel as if we're being called by prank callers, trying to wind us up!

Halfway through my shift, Polly who used to work for us when we had the business came in to see me! It was wonderful to see her after a long time, but seeing her did make me very emotional, so we left the office and went outside to have a quick catch up. I am very emotional at the moment and prone to crying! It didn't help that our new managing director was sitting opposite my desk but he's known me for ages, and probably understood why I was upset thank goodness! In fact, nearly all of the people involved in the sale of the business 6 years ago were in the office!

Therefore, it was a relief to leave at 4pm and head home to look forward to the weekend. Friday night is Wine Night! Yippee! When Sophie arrived home she had a terrible headache, poor thing, so I gave her a head massage and then we cracked open a bottle of red to go with the chilli for dinner. We watched Come Dine With Me tonight, rather than a film and it was great to think we didn't have to get up early tomorrow!

No comments: