Saturday 10 April 2021

A free lunch!

I turned on the television this morning with my cup of coffee and saw yet more wall-to-wall coverage of Prince Philip's death. On BBC1 there was a news special all the way through until 2pm, after which they started showing sport. I mean, really? At least, Saturday Kitchen Live had been switched to BBC2! I know there are some who will say he deserves extensive coverage, and I agree, but at least restrict it to maybe the dedicated BBC news channel, so people can tune if they wish! Rant over!

Just after 9am two cars, one of them with a trailer, turned up at Paul's house opposite, so it was a good job my Dad's car was already on our drive! It would've been a bit embarrassing if we'd still all been in bed when they arrived!

We had a lazyish morning and my Mum called with a list of shopping she wanted me to get. We had planned on going to Boots at Riverside anyway, but decided, at the last minute, to go to Market Harborough instead, where there's both a Boots and a Savers. I just didn't have the stomach for the busy Riverside today!

We drove through grey weather into Leicestershire and parked extremely easily in the car park by the library. There must have only been four other cars there! It was chilly and breezy so we were glad we'd taken our coats!

Our first stop was Savers where I bought Mum's toiletries - all of them either Nivea or Pantene, and I'm sure they would have been a lot more expensive in Boots. Sophie needed to go there though, so we walked over, feeling a bit sad that all of the shops, pubs and restaurants were still closed. It will all change from Monday, though, when retailers can re-open and pubs, cafes and restaurants can serve people outdoors. I just hope the weather warms up a bit!

As our purchases were quite heavy we took them back to the car and decided to go to one of the little independent cafes that were doing takeaway sandwiches and coffee. However, on the way, a lovely little bakery and cafe were giving away free bread and buns and they virtually pushed them onto us! We turned around and headed home with our booty, and made sandwiches at home!

At 5pm Sophie and I enjoyed cocktails in the conservatory and two games of Scrabble. Keith cooked a lovely beef stroganoff, and then we settled down to watch a film Sophie had wanted to see, The Mauritanian, which we thought was great and starred Tahir Rahim who was also in The Serpent. He played a very different character in the film!


No comments: