Friday 16 April 2021

Suspicious noises...

If I'm honest I was dreading today and tomorrow - mainly because I was at work, and I now knew how busy we could be (it was manic Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday according to my work colleagues), and also because Sophie was driving to Milton Keynes to meet Zain, and I always worry when she drives on her own, especially on our stretch of the M1 which is being converted into a "Smart" motorway, a serious mistake in my opinion.

I was looking forward, therefore, to tomorrow evening when my weekend could start!

I was working with Kathy today and at 10am when the phone lines opened, she was unable to log onto her computer. There would have been no point in taking calls, as she needs the system we use, so I had to battle it out on my own, noticing with horror, that at one point we had about 14 calls in the queue!

I cannot state enough how glad we will all be when we no longer have to book people in for a swimming session. Our online bookings system was never set up for swimming so consequently, we get many, many calls from people who either can't be bothered to work out how to do it or have done it but received no confirmation from us (a new glitch) and are ringing to make sure they are booked in.  We are tearing our hair out with it!

It did, however, calm down a bit mid-morning, and at least we had pauses in between the calls, which was a bonus and allowed us to catch up with things. I tried to do some of the customer service emails (Sara has Friday off) and poor Kathy, who arranges all of the football bookings, desperately tried to do some of her own work as well!

I heard from Sophie that she had arrived at Milton Keynes, and was having a coffee with Zain at Las Iguanas. I knew she'd try and sneak that in as well! They had a lunch reservation in Woburn so they were having a lovely day.

At 4pm it was a great relief to log off (we still had about six calls in the queue, but you have to stop at some point!). I drove home and noticed that the ominous noise from my car was getting worse. Last week, on the way to Market Harborough, I heard a noise like a low-flying aeroplane above us... Sophie heard it too, and I knew at once that something wasn't right. I had mentioned it to Keith who said he could hear it faintly, but now it definitely isn't faint and we both think it's the exhaust system. It now sounds like I have the car in second gear but I'm doing about 80mph, so, until Wednesday, when we're taking it to the garage, I'm going to use my Dad's car.

When I arrived home I received a message from Paul that his garages needed to be accessible from tomorrow so we pulled my car right up on the drive with half the bonnet in our garage. When Sophie arrived home her car was in the middle and my Dad's car at the back. I am glad we can get three cars (two of them quite big) onto the drive but it meant that the garage door wouldn't close!

With my darling daughter returned from her day out, it was time for a glass of Prosecco and a Doris Day/Rock Hudson film, this time Send Me No Flowers, which was hilarious! A really lovely end to a somewhat stressful day!


No comments: