Monday 26 April 2021

A quick check-up

I was off work today and had swapped shifts with Denise so I could accompany my Mum for a check-up at the hospital this afternoon. She was a bit worried about a small lump in her breast so she had an appointment at the treatment centre in Kettering.

I spent the morning giving the downstairs of the house a good clean and throwing away things that we no longer needed. It's been another glorious day but there's still that chilly wind about! Keith went to do some more essential shopping for the next few days and then made me lunch, which was a bonus!

I had arranged to meet Mum at the treatment centre and I asked Keith to drop me off as I was a bit worried about parking. The last thing I wanted was to have to go elsewhere on the large hospital site to find a space! My Mum arrived within a few minutes of me getting there and we checked into the reception. The building looked brand new and I was impressed with the whole process. Mum was seen by a consultant first and he examined her. My Mum had breast cancer about 20 years ago and has had a mastectomy and reconstruction surgery. The consultant thought that the lump she felt was the edge of the implant, but she went for an ultrasound and a mammogram as well, and all was fine.

The breast clinic is called a "One-Stop" clinic and I was really impressed that everything was done so quickly, and in one place without her having to wait for the results. It really put her mind at ease. It was lovely being able to spend some time with her, and when we'd finished we called the Care Home who came to collect her.

Keith came back to collect me (he'd been to get Mike from work) and at home, I finished off the housework, and then was able to relax for a while. When Sophie came home from work we played cards in the conservatory with a mocktail... we're off the alcohol from Monday to Thursday to give our livers a bit of a rest!

No comments: