Friday 9 April 2021

A Royal shock...

It was back to work for me today, and I was working with Kathy, perhaps my favourite colleague! She is always lovely and quiet, and we get on well. Nicola came in, full of bustle, and kept us busy throughout the shift. I had trouble accessing my own (and the customer service) emails, but it was all sorted in the end. 

I helped with several emails from customers wanting help, and then did some cold-calling of ex-members to try and entice them back, something I did not enjoy! I hate the thought that I was bothering people! Nicola let us off early and the next time we come in, on Monday, the phones will be back on, and no doubt all hell will be let loose!

During the shift, we learned the very sad news that Prince Philip had passed away today. He was just two months short of reaching 100 years. On the way home, when I turned on the radio, the normal programme hosted by Steve Wright had been cancelled and there was a news special playing. This set the tone for the television as well, and BBC1 was full of the sad news.

When I got home, my dad's car was on the driveway as Keith had used it to get Mike from work. We pulled it up as far as we could, as Paul needs to access one of his garages tomorrow and had asked us to park it elsewhere. With Sophie's car in the middle, we managed to get all three cars on the drive! We couldn't open the garage or have the bins on the drive, but until tomorrow night, it's fine!

Dinner tonight was very easy baked potatoes and Sophie and I sat and enjoyed The Devil Wears Prada, starring Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway. We watched it right up until 9pm and I was a bit surprised to see that no recordings were in process on our Skybox. I couldn't remember what time Masterchef was on, but we were both looking forward to watching the final tonight...

When we turned on the main TV guide we were both a bit dismayed to see that all the programmes had been cancelled and that BBC1 (as well as BBC2, ITV and Sky 1) were showing a documentary about Prince Philip and the Royal family. I am 99% sure that the programme on BBC2 was exactly the same as the one on BBC1! Why couldn't they have swapped the programmes over so that we could have watched the final of Masterchef on BBC2?

For me, this is only the second time in my life that a major Royal has died (the first being Diana in 1997), and I know for a fact that in the coming days they will squeeze every last bit of news out of the situation. There will be endless discussions and documentaries, interviews with everyone who has ever known him, and it will go on and on. Don't get me wrong, I think it's very sad, but he was 99 and he wasn't going to live forever. With his recent stay in hospital, it was perhaps inevitable that he was frail and not in the best of health. The problem is that people will get fed up with hearing about it constantly (well, I will anyway)!

So, no Masterchef for us! RIP Prince Philip.




No comments: