Saturday 17 April 2021

Saturday working

I waved goodbye to my family this morning at 8.30am and went off to work. I was working with Sue, who I hadn't seen since December, and a new woman called Eve who normally does a reception shift but who would be working at the weekends from now on. She had already been in the contact centre and was able to answer phones on her own, with just a little help, so I'd been asked to try and deal with the emails we had - over 60 of them, so not as bad as it has been!

We started off very busy again, and 99.9% of the calls I took today were about the blasted swimming sessions, or people asking what time their children's lessons were, as they had forgotten...  It was very wearying. I would have loved someone to ring up and ask me to book a badminton court for them!

At about 11.30am it calmed down a bit so I was able to tackle the emails, which was great. At least it was something different! Sophie caught a train at about 11.30am and met Zain at Liverpool Street station. They then had a fantastic day eating and drinking their way around London, although Sophie did say that having to wear face masks everywhere, and also having to download menus on their phones was a bit of a pain. She said that the restaurants, cafes and cocktail bars were busy, with people being turned away if they hadn't booked!

At 2pm we were finished so I sped home and settled down to watch Prince Philip's funeral. The last time I had seen Windsor Castle bathed in beautiful sunshine was for Harry and Meghan's wedding so it was bittersweet on this occasion. I have to say though, that the whole occasion was carried out beautifully and it does make me proud to be British. The Royal Family looked stunning in their mourning clothes, and all the pageantry was fantastic to watch.

Once the ceremony started Keith and I put all of our freshly washed bedding back onto our bed and went back downstairs just as things were finishing. I was fascinated to see how William and Harry were together, but afterwards, as they were walking along with Kate, they seemed very friendly!

Keith and I mooched about for the rest of the afternoon and changed our plans for dinner. We were going to have a barbecue but with Sophie not sure what time she was returning from London, we decided to just have bacon and tomatoes with bread and butter. Not thrilling, but something we both enjoy! Sophie caught the 6pm train from London and arrived in Northampton at about 7.30pm, so we sped home with her, and I was able to relax for a short while and enjoy a G&T!

We didn't finish eating until well past 8pm, so too late for a film. Instead, we watched a couple of episodes of Come Dine With Me, which were hilarious!

No comments: