Friday 19 July 2019

Washout!

Work has started to become very busy with parents ringing up to book their children into our holiday playscheme - some of the amounts they pay are mind-boggling!

I was mightily glad when it was 2pm and I received a text from Mike to ask me to pick him up at Morrison's near Becket's Park. I needed to go and get some wine because Keith and I had been invited to Sarah and Liam's house tonight for a joint celebration - Liam's birthday next week and Sarah leaving her job as a school teacher.

I drove in heavy traffic to the supermarket and arrived at 2.30pm. I texted Mike to say I was going into the store and he replied to say he was going to be another ten minutes anyway. I went off in search of a good bottle of red for Liam, a card and some Prosecco for Sarah.

As soon as I got back to the car, Mike appeared so it was off home in more heavy traffic! It looked like everyone was leaving work early today!

Sophie arrived home earlier than usual and I jumped into the bath to get ready. She had asked Laura to stay over as Mike was going to Sheffield with some friends and I thought it would be nice for her to have some company this evening. Laura arrived and they shared their booty - loads of cheese, biscuits and wine. It looked like they were in for a good evening!

Unfortunately the weather today has been terrible with almost constant rain. Keith and I left just before 7pm and spotted Mike standing at the bus stop looking drenched and very forlorn...we stopped and told him to go and wait for his mate at home where it was dry! I was a bit worried about him going up to Sheffield so I sent up a silent prayer for him!

We sloshed our way over to Sarah and Liam's house in Sophie's car as I had a feeling that parking would be tight. Their driveway was already full of cars so we parked nearby and shared an umbrella. Outside their lovely house was a couple setting up a pig roast and we joined the people (mainly school teachers and staff) in their kitchen.

We had a lovely night, but it was very loud at time with all the nattering going on! We chatted to friends who lived on our estate and the pork and stuffing rolls were delicious. There was so much left over, though so I think Sarah and Liam will be eating it for the rest of the week! At least they have an Irish Wolfhound who will hoover up a lot of it!

No comments: