Thursday 25 July 2019

Too hot!

Today, the UK almost set a new record for high temperatures! The previous one was 38.6 but in Cambridge it reached 38.1c and this was only because of some cloud cover passing over the city. We had been warned but the reality was horrible!

I was at work until 3pm and people kept coming into the office saying it was so much cooler than out in the main building. When Keith picked me up the car temperature was registering 37.5c which was the highest I'd ever seen in this country!

We drove to get Mike and as we sat waiting the temperature went up to 38.5. This obviously wasn't an accurate reading if the highest was in Cambridge, but it was impressive!



It felt like a hot Florida day, to be honest, and was very humid. The difference is that in Florida, virtually all the buildings are air-conditioned and you can easily escape the heat! Keith got out of the car and went to find Mike and I stood by the car but it was like a wall of hot, moist air enveloping me! It was such a relief to get back into the cool car!

Driving home it briefly hit 40c which was mind-boggling! Again, it wasn't accurate but it was amazing to see!

Back home we lolled about in the heat and Monty was really suffering, poor thing. We went to put out the bins for a friend who lived up the road and he came with us, but I think he regretted it as back home he was breathing very quickly. Sophie cooled him off with a damp tea-towel which he seemed to like!



For most of the evening I sat with my feet in a bowl of water and when I went to bed I dampened a bath towel and slept with it on top of me!

No comments: