Sunday 28 July 2019

Not an easy dinner!

Eating a big meal doesn't agree with me any more and I had a fitful night's sleep. I awoke at 9.15am to find that Sophie was at the gym! I stumbled blearily downstairs and tried to wake up with a cup of strong coffee!

After feeling a little more awake, Keith and I went over to see my Mum and Dad and we had a coffee with them. Mum felt much better and the bump had gone from her head so that was a relief. We sloshed back home through the rain (it's been even worse today) and mooched about until it was time for Sophie to go to Virgin for a beauty treatment. I sat in the car and read the Sunday papers while she was in the salon and then we popped to Jones's where we bought a few things that we needed. We only spent £9...one of the lowest amounts ever!

From Jones's we drove to the St James retail park where we had a drink and a snack in Starbucks, before driving over to Homesense because the rain was lashing down! What a horrible day it was!

Sophie bought an armful of things in Homesense - wine, olive oil, pasta and salt granules. I contented myself with a scented candle and some chocolate! It was packed in there as usual and I was very glad we'd bagged a space almost opposite!

Back home we started making preparations for dinner - Nadiya's Meatloaf roll which she made on her television programme the other evening. Sophie chopped up the onions and garlic and added the chilli flakes while we put five eggs on to boil. Looking back we should have used the pre-rolled pastry but it didn't take long to roll it out and then we mixed the minced beef with the sausage meat and the rest of the ingredients.

While Sophie took a bath, I made the meat roll which was fiddly, to be honest! I'm not sure we had enough meat but in the end I managed to get the five eggs down the middle and then encased them in the other half of the meat mixture. I wrapped it in clingfilm and then popped it in the fridge to chill.

Sophie helped with the pastry and we brushed the surface with the marmite mix before laying the pork and beef roll on top. Then I made a mistake by not wrapping the join of the pastry underneath and when we cooked it in the oven, the top split and all the inside oozed out!

We served it with crushed new potatoes, asparagus and tenderstem broccoli, which I have decided I don't like. There was a strong taste of garlic in the meat mixture, probably because we didn't cook it first. We were all quite disappointed and this was the second night in a row that I had a bad meal. We certainly won't be cooking it again! I don't think it was easy at all!

No comments: