Tuesday 5 February 2019

Mushrooms are the new chicken...

I had difficulty getting up today when Sophie woke me at about 6.15am but I staggered downstairs to make some porridge for both of us and gradually came around!

I drove myself to work this morning and had a busy shift, so the time flew by again. Joanne was training with us and confessed to feeling nervous about taking calls. I urged her to ask for help as I didn't mind at all and remembered what it was like when I first joined! I have to confess to having a Latte this morning as I was dying for a proper coffee, so that's the end of my veganism! I find it surprising that it's been easier for me to give up meat and it's the lack of dairy that's been the hardest.

At 2pm I sped home and Keith and I went to the Co-op in Brixworth where I bought some proper milk for my coffee and tea! I cut up a load of vegetables (mushrooms, peppers, courgettes, onion) for dinner as tonight it's fajitas. I mixed the seasoning with some oil and covered the veg before letting them marinate.

Keith suggested we all go out for a drink tonight so as soon as Sophie arrived home we drove over to The Althorp Coaching Inn in Great Brington again and had a very pleasant hour and a half sitting by the log fire and chatting. Things have been a bit fraught in the house over the last couple of days so it was lovely to sit and chat as a family. We even tentatively talked about a trip back to Naples (Florida) in 2021 to celebrate Mike's 21st Birthday. How fabulous would that be?

We didn't get home until 8pm so it was all hands on deck to get the dinner finished. I stir-fried the vegetables and put on some rice to cook while Sophie made her lunch for the next day. We were eating by 8.30pm and Sophie had asked me to add some more mushrooms to bulk out the meal. There wasn't a mushroom left by the time we'd finished and as they resemble chicken and have some substance, we joked about them being so popular! Dinner tonight was lovely and I think that we've got it right when we keep the veggies quite big and have them in a spicy sauce, like we did with the curry last week.

It was an early night for us tonight as Sophie has to be at Thrapston at 6.15am tomorrow! Yawn!

No comments: