Sunday 3 February 2019

Hectic Sunday!

We have had a very busy day today and started off by going down to Tapi this morning to look at carpets. The quote from Whilton Locks was ridiculous so it's back to the drawing board!

St James Retail Park was very busy and there were quite a few people in the carpet showroom. I wandered around feeling more confused than ever, and looked at the 80% wool, 20% polyester mix but I didn't like them - they felt rough and the colours were horrible.

We picked out some vinyl we liked and then eventually we decided on a carpet. We took a sample over to the vinyl and the colours went well together. It was then a case of sitting down with one of the staff and getting a quote, based on our measurements.

He came up with a figure that was over our budget so he disappeared off to see someone more senior, who lowered the price to something that we were happy with. It was still slightly more than we wanted to pay but as we're putting down new flooring on almost the whole of the downstairs, it wasn't bad.

We have a man coming out on Wednesday to check our measurements and then they're aiming to fit the carpet and vinyl on the 19th and 20th February. As we've chosen a silvery grey for the carpet, we've decided to re-paint the hall, stairs and landing and put a white gloss on the stair rails to match. There will be a lot of work to do!

We crossed over the road and popped into Lidl where we discovered lots of veggie goodies, including some Linda McCartney sausages for breakfast. We also bought veggie pies and burgers to have for meals later in the week.

Back home, and while the sausages were grilling, Sophie and I prepared yet more vegetables for dinner while Keith unpacked our new vacuum cleaner that had arrived while we were out. He used it on the study and living room carpets and we were astonished at how much fluff it picked up!

After lunch we drove over to collect my Mum and we went to Rushden Lakes where Sophe needed to go to M&S to take back a sports bra. First up, was something to eat and drink and I made the mistake of going into Bill's as I thought they had a vegan menu for afternoon tea items. All around us people were eating lunch so we felt a bit fraudulent!

Sophie stated she was going to have a glass of wine, but Mum and I stuck to sparkling water. Unfortunately, they had virtually nothing on the menu for vegans (cake-wise) so Sophie and I shared a chocolate fondant dessert and Mum had apple crumble and custard. We really should have left and the bill came to an eye-watering £26 for the two desserts and the three drinks. It wasn't really what I had in mind and I felt very guilty.

In M&S Sophie exchanged her bra for another one and we had a look at the vegan foods. I get the feeling we're becoming a bit boring on the subject as we have to scrutinise every packet! Heaven knows how people do it full-time!

We made a stop in Next for Sophie to get some work tops and then it was time to head home where a car on its side in a ditch held us up for a while. How on earth did that happen!

Dinner tonight was not a success and I don't think we'll be using the vegan cookbook I bought any more. It was supposed to be a veggie Shepherd's pie but for me, it had an aroma I really didn't like. I have a feeling it was either Thyme or Rosemary as we had used both herbs in the dish. I ate it but I didn't enjoy it one bit, which caused a bit of ill-feeling. This vegan eating, far from bringing us together as a family, is causing dissension amongst us!

No comments: